The University of Virginia produces research of proven scientific, social, and economic impact from a unique consortium of innovators and problem solvers. U.Va. encourages collaboration between scientists and scholars from across disciplines, resulting in new applications for today's urgent and significant social issues.
The School of Medicine supports and promotes basic, clinical, and translational investigation. The University supports seven research centers and six institutes and programs.
The School of Engineering and Applied Science has research strengths which are captured in four societal challenges: creating a sustainable future, engineering improved health, advancing the cyber and physical infrastructure and providing personal and societal security.
The College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are leading institutions in humanities, social sciences, and arts scholarship. Over a dozen centers and institutes offer students and faculty the opportunity to work on topics of current social, scientific, or scholarly interest.
Sponsored Research Awards. In fiscal year 2011, sponsored research awards totaled over $338 million from all sources, including federal and state agencies, industry, and private foundations. Of this amount, over 40% came from the National Institutes of Health.
- The National Institutes of Health made 457 awards to researchers at U.Va. totaling $146 million.
- The National Science Foundation awarded a total of over $26 million to U.Va. in 125 awards.
- The College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are annually awarded nearly $46 million, about one-quarter of the total for the University.
Research Outreach. U.Va. research is disseminated through faculty member publications in scholarly journals, books, and through University publications. Included are regularly updated websites, expert directories and locators, and electronic newsletters; as well as publications from each of the eleven academic units. Research outreach is supported by:
- The Office of Economic Development.
- The Corporate and Foundation Relations team in the Office of University Development.
- The Public Service team in the Office of the Vice President and Provost.
For current U.Va. research in the news, faculty expertise and honors, and information about collaborative research projects, please visit U.Va.'s Research Web Site.