University of Virginia Foundation
The Foundation acquires real estate in a variety of ways--by purchase, by transfer from the University and other grantors affiliated with the University, and through gifts to it from outside donors. The Foundation provides administrative and investment services to other University-related foundations, and is the parent corporation to the University of Virginia Research Parks, Boar’s Head Inn, Birdwood Golf Course, Morven Farms and the Cavalier Inn.
College at Wise
Blandy Experimental Farm (BEF) is a 700-acre University of Virginia research facility situated in the northern Shenandoah Valley, west of Washington, D.C., and home of the State Arboretum of Virginia. Founded in 1926, this Environmental Sciences Department field station’s mission is to increase understanding of the natural environment through education and research on plants, plant biology, ecology and evolution. Blandy’s research program, arboretum, and K-12 programs run year-round, and the facility is particularly important as an educational outreach center for northern Virginia. The arboretum’s collections and exhibits include more than half the world’s pine species, the Boxwood Memorial Garden, a spectacular grove of more than 300 ginkgo trees, an herb garden featuring culinary, medicinal and ornamental herbs, and the Virginia Native Plant Trail.
The Mountain Lake Biological Station (MLBS) is a field research and teaching facility located in the deciduous hardwood forest of the Appalachian Mountains in southwestern Virginia. Founded in 1929, it is the field station of the Biology Department and provides a diverse array of natural environments, local educational outreach opportunities and two modern laboratories. The 642-acre site includes residences used by researchers and students of biology and environmental science for research and course opportunities throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. A full-service dining hall operates in support of the station during the summer.
The Fan Mountain Observatory, 15 miles south of Charlottesville, was established in the mid-1960s as a new, dark site for the UVA Astronomy Department, and is also affiliated with Norfolk State University. The 273-acre Observatory site was used extensively for research up until the late 1980s. In recent years, extensive hardware upgrades and instrumentation efforts have transformed the observatory into a modern research facility, currently capable of optical and infrared imaging and spectroscopy.
The Anheuser-Busch Coastal Research Center of the University of Virginia (ABCRC) is located in southeast Virginia along the Eastern Shore. Founded in 1987, it is a field station of the Environmental Sciences Department, providing laboratory and residential facilities to researchers from various institutions and agencies. Field station personnel maintain the site, conduct collaborative research with other PI’s, collect data from meteorological stations, tide gauges, well transects and water level recorders, and host a fleet of four boats to provide logistics to the VCR barrier islands, mainland creeks and seaside ports. The station runs year-round and also hosts a local outreach program.
THROUGH the program model, and incorporating the findings of collaborative workshops, the Grounds Plan identifies the development required by future academic, housing and recreational needs and the opportunities such development provides. These opportunities create multi-use spaces and improve connectivity and spatial coherence through adding green space, reconfiguring roads, linking walkways, and designing a stronger entry experience to the University. In this way, the Grounds Plan provides for an increasingly sustainable University environment, one that will fulfill and extend Jefferson’s vision through all the University’s precincts.
Although the centrality of the principle of sustainable growth distinguishes this Grounds Plan from recent campus plans, the implementation of several of the projects set forth in these earlier plans offers excellent models of sustainably managed growth, benefiting the University and its surrounding community while serving specific programmatic needs. The case studies in section 4 demonstrate the progress that has been achieved and methods of proven success that can be employed in implementing this Plan’s objectives.