The Archaeology Lab and Archaeological Research at the Linder Center for Art History
Excavations and Research
The Archaeology Lab is home to the U.Va. archaeological
excavations in the classical and Hellenistic city of Morgantina (Sicily, Italy; directed by Prof. M. Bell), which are part of the overall U.S. archaeological
program on Morgantina (directed by Prof. Bell and Prof. C. Antonaccio of Duke
University), and to the Pompeii Forum project and related field work at the
site of Pompeii (Italy; directed by Prof. J. Dobbins).
Other current archaeological projects of Art History faculty include the Berezan
publication project sponsored by the Hermitage Museum, excavations sponsored by Bilkent University and the University of Richmond at Hacimusalar, Turkey (Prof. T.J. Smith); and the House of Kadmos re-excavation and final publication project (Thebes, Greece; directed
by Prof. A. Dakouri-Hild).
Current graduate students:
- Elizabeth Bartlett (PhD, Smith): early red figure Attic vase-painting.
- Jared Benton (PhD, Dobbins): Roman urbanization.
- Monica De
Simone (PhD, Dobbins): Roman villas.
- Renee Gondek (PhD, Smith): All the worlds a stage: the tragedy of the female body in the Greek visual culture.
- Stephanie Layton (PhD, Smith): Liminality and performance in Etruscan art.
- Ismini Miliaresis (PhD, Dobbins): Fuel consumption in the Roman baths and the effects on the Empire.
Molacek (PhD, Dobbins): Roman wall painting.
- Dylan Rogers (MA, Dobbins): Roman domestic religion.
- Carrie Sulosky (PhD, Smith): The eternal feast: banquet scenes on Roman cineraria.
- Sean Tennant (PhD, Dobbins)
- Claire Weiss (PhD, Dobbins)
- Dan Weiss (PhD, Dobbins): Cultural exchange and the trade network of the
Northwestern Dacian Limes.
- Maria Zachariou (PhD, Smith): The art and cult of Apollo in
Former graduate students include:
- William Archer (Department of Art, University of Illinois State University).
- Larry Ball (Department of Art and Design, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point).
- Scott Craver (Art History Program, St
- Kevin Cole
(Miami International University of Art and Design)
Elizabeth Hahn (American Numismatic Society).
Kathleen Lynch (Department of Classics, University of Cincinnati).
- Courtney Morano (Virginia Museum of Fine Arts).
- Rosa Motta (Dept. of Classics, Christopher Newport University).
- Eric Poehler (Department of Classics,
University of Massachusetts Amherst)
Justin Walsh (Department of Art History, Louisiana State University).
McIntire Department of Art
University of Virginia
Lindner Center for Art History,
104 Fayerweather Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22903