Calendar for Prospective Students
Application Deadline: December 7
Deadline for applicants for admission and fellowships.
Lecture: September 12
Dr. Natasha Dakouri-Hild (University of Virginia): “The House of Cadmus at Thebes,” Campbell Hall 160, 5:30 pm. Archaeological Institute of America, Charlottesville Chapter.
Symposium: September 22 and 23
First Annual Art and Architectural History Symposium. Aftermath: The Cultural Response to Catastrophe.
Keynote Speaker: Lisa Saltzman (Bryn Mawr College)
University of Virginia Presenter: Daniel Bluestone
- Nancy C. Barry (Johns Hopkins University): “The Athenian Plague as a Pretext for the Reorganization of the Eleusinian Mysteries”
- Melanie Ettenger (University of Arizona): “Images of Aftermath: Historiography and Picturing the Black Death”
- Kelema Lee Moses (Pennsylvania State University): “Recreating Ayutthaya: The Transference of Buddha Images to Bangkok after the Burmese Invasion”
- Karen L. Mulder (University of Virginia): “Redeeming Rubble: Case Studies of Germany’s Preservation Responses after the Holocaust”
- Murtaza Vali (New York University): “The Existential Crisis of National Imaginaries: Repetition in Contemporary Palestinian Art”
- Shaoqian Zhang (Northwestern University): “Reconstructing Chinese Identities: The Palace Museum and Chinese Renaissance Architecture in the Notions of the May Fourth Monument and New Life Movement”
Lecture: October 20
Dr. Douglas Edwards (University of Puget Sound): “Pagans, Jews, and Christians on the North Black Sea,” Campbell Hall 160, 5:30 pm. Archaeological Institute of America, Charlottesville Chapter.
Lecture: October 26
Professor Dell Upton (University of Virginia): “New Mythic Geographies of the American South,” Campbell 160, 5:30 PM. McIntire Lecture Series.
Lecture: February 9
Dr. Margaret Mook (Iowa State University): “Exploring the Early Greek City: Five Seasons of Excavation in Eastern Crete,” Campbell Hall 160, 5:30 pm. Archaeological Institute of America, Charlottesville Chapter.
Lecture: March 22
Professor Martin Millett (Cambridge University): “Surveying the Port of Imperial Rome,” Archaeological Institute of America, Charlottesville Chapter, Lecture.