Welcome to a Virtual Tour of the State Arboretum of Virginia
At the University of Virginia's Historic
BLANDY EXPERIMENTAL FARM

Photo Courtesy of Cassidy & Pinkard Colliers

First, a bit of history

The 170-acre State Arboretum of Virginia is part of the 700-acre Blandy Experimental Farm.

Graham Blandy left the property to the University of Virginia in 1926, stipulating that it be named "Blandy Experimental Farm" and that it be used "to teach boys about farming."

Orland E. White was hired in 1927 as the first director of Blandy Experimental Farm. Upon his retirement in 1955, the property was named the Orland E. White Arboretum.

Today, Blandy Experimental Farm is a research facility for UVA, and women as well as men learn about environmental science. Graduate and undergraduate students stay in the Quarters and assist faculty with ongoing research into habitat fragmentation, small mammal population dynamics, insect herbivory, and plant pollination systems.

The Arboretum is also open to the public dawn to dusk, 365 days a year, free of charge. The State Arboretum of Virginia's collection of over 5,000 woody plants includes the largest variety of boxwood in North America and more than half the world's pine species. The collection emphasizes native plants and their exotic relatives. Visitors may stop at the Information Pavilion (pictured above) for maps, brochures and information on workshops and other activities.

Next stop on the Tour

Back to Main page

1,528