UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
BOARD OF VISITORS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
EXTERNAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
April 14, 2000
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
East Oval Room, The Rotunda
- I. CONSENT ITEM
- UNIVERSITY-RELATED FOUNDATIONS -- SPINNER TECHNOLOGIES, INC. -- Approves the entry by the University of Virginia Patent Foundation into a new business venture, through its ownership of a for-profit corporation, Spinner Technologies, Inc.
- II. REPORTS BY THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR DEVELOPMENT
- A. VICE PRESIDENT'S REMARKS -- Mr. Sweeney will review a range of fundraising initiatives and report on overall fundraising and program progress.
1. REUNIONS -- The 2000 Reunions Weekend will be held June 2-4. It is projected that attendance and reunion giving will surpass last year's totals. Highlights of the reunion program will be described.
2. PUBLIC RELATIONS PROGRESS -- The Vice President for Development will discuss improvements in public relations already being planned and implemented as part of the public affairs study.
PHILANTHROPIC CASH FLOW -- The Vice President will assess cash flow progress, citing comparisons with previous fiscal years.
CAMPAIGN PROGRESS -- Campaign totals through February 2000, and commentary on efforts to raise $1 billion in outright gifts and pledges.