STUDENT AFFAIRS AND ATHLETICS COMMITTEE
Saturday, April 15, 2000
8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
East Oval Room, The Rotunda
I. REPORTS BY THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS (Mr. Harmon)
- A. Vice President's Remarks
- B. Learning Needs and Evaluation (Mr. Harmon to introduce Ms. Maedgen; Ms. Jennifer Maedgen to report)
II. REPORTS BY THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR (Mr. Holland)
- A. NCAA Compliance (Mr. Holland to introduce Ms. Mitchell; Ms. Lynn Mitchell to report)
- B. Strategic Planning Task Force for Athletics (Mr. Holland to introduce Ms. Callahan; Ms. Carolyn Callahan to report)
I.A. Remarks by the Vice President for Student Affairs
- DISCUSSION: The Vice President for Student Affairs will utilize this portion of the Student Affairs and Athletics Committee meeting to inform the Board of Visitors of recent events which do not require formal action, but of which they should be made aware.
I.B. Learning Needs and Evaluation
- BACKGROUND: The Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC) provides direct and indirect services to students with diagnosed disabilities. In 1996, the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center began reporting to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) within the Department of Student Health.
DISCUSSION: The Director of the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center will present an overview of the improvements made since the reorganization which includes expanded collaboration between LNEC and CAPS, expansion of deaf services, revised testing procedures, and new legislation where applicable.
ACTION REQUIRED: None
II.A. NCAA Compliance
- BACKGROUND: The Associate Athletic Director for Compliance briefs the Board on a regular basis regarding the Board's specific compliance responsibilities with ACC and NCAA rules and policies.
DISCUSSION: Time will be allowed for questions from Board members regarding the presentation and materials provided to all University of Virginia representatives of athletic interests.
II.B. Strategic Planning Task Force for Athletics
- BACKGROUND: In January, President Casteen announced the formation of a Strategic Planning Task Force for Athletics to develop long-range priorities and aspirations for the Department of Athletics. The task force has been charged with addressing three areas: programs and facilities, academic and student life, and finances and fund raising. It will focus on planning and goal setting, particularly in areas that have not yet achieved eminence.
DISCUSSION: The Chair of the Strategic Planning Task Force will report progress and direction to date and discuss with members of the Board potential additions or deletions from the current direction.
Maintained by email@example.com
Last Modified: Wednesday, 18-Jul-2012 16:06:05 EDT
© 2000 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia