Meeting InformationUNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
BOARD OF VISITORS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
EXTERNAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
February 25, 2000
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 noon, East Oval Room, The Rotunda
REPORTS BY THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR DEVELOPMENT
A. VICE PRESIDENT'S REMARKS -- Mr. Sweeney will review a range of fund-raising initiatives and report on overall fundraising and program progress.
- YEAR 2000: FUND-RAISING AND COMMUNICATION STRATEGY -- Review of a communications effort, developed by the Development Office, that will encourage donors to think "beyond a billion" and to highlight opportunities for giving at the University.
- CAMPAIGN TRANSITION STRATEGY -- Discussion of specific goals and approaches for the Campaign transition strategy. This is a follow-up on the outline presented to the Board of Visitors at its last meeting; it includes plans to employ new volunteers, approaches for continuing to cultivate donors and introduce new funding initiatives in the absence of a formal "campaign" structure.
- KENAN CHALLENGE -- Mr. Sweeney will discuss historic preservation fund raising and progress on Pavilion VII and plans for the endowments provided by the Kenan Trust and by the matching donors.
- PUBLIC AFFAIRS ISSUES -- The Vice President for Development has been charged with studying the current public affairs structure at the University and making recommendations about possible improvements to its operations. Mr. Sweeney will outline his plans for this study, including description of a timeline for the process, involvement of University public relations professionals throughout the Grounds, collection of benchmarking data and consultation with peer universities.
- STADIUM EXPANSION FUND-RAISING UPDATE -- Fund- raising for the expansion of Scott Stadium began publicly in September 1998. Mr. Sweeney will report on fund-raising progress to date.
B. PHILANTHROPIC CASH FLOW -- Assess cash flow progress, citing any trends in annual capital and planned gift support.
C. CAMPAIGN PROGRESS -- Progress through January 2000, with a review of benchmarks for charting overall Campaign progress and comment on major gift activity.
D. MISCELLANEOUS REPORT -- Mr. Sandridge will review a status report on compliance with the Policy on University-Related Foundations.
Susan Harris, Secretary to the Board of Visitors (e-mail: email@example.com)
Board of Visitors Office N.W. Wing, The Rotunda (P.O. Box 9027)
University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA 22906 Telephone: 804-924-7081
Maintained by BOV Webmaster
Last Modified: Wednesday, 18-Jul-2012 16:00:37 EDT
© 2000 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia