Friday, June 16, 2000
4:00 4:30 p.m.
Dome Room, The Rotunda
I.ACTION ITEMS (Mr. Casteen)
- Centennial Distinguished Professorship in 1
- Robert J. Roberts Professorship in Pediatrics 3
- Naming of the New Residence Hall on Alderman Road 5
in Honor of Mr. T. Braxton Woody
II.REPORT ON NAMING OF NEURORADIOLOGY SUITES IN MEMORY 8
DR. WAYNE S. CAIL (Mr. Casteen)
AGENDA ITEM:A. Establishment of Professorship
Approval to establish Professorship in
School of Nursing
CENTENNIAL DISTINGUISHED PROFESSORSHIP IN NURSING
BACKGROUND: The School of Nursing, under a slightly different name, was established in 1901. In commemoration of this forthcoming centennial, an anonymous and very generous donor has given money to establish a professorship in pediatric nursing; it is proposed that the professorship be called The Centennial Distinguished Professorship in Pediatric Nursing.
DISCUSSION: An anonymous donor has given $1 million to establish a chair in pediatric nursing. It is the largest outright gift made by an individual to the School of Nursing.
The Centennial Professorship will be used to recruit a distinguished academic to lead nursing education, practice, and research in pediatrics.
ACTION REQUIRED: The President will propose the establishment of the Centennial Distinguished Professorship in Nursing which must
be approved by the Board of Visitors.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CENTENNIAL DISTINGUISHED PROFESSORSHIP IN NURSING
WHEREAS, an anonymous donor has made a very generous gift to establish a professorship in the School of Nursing, the largest individual donation made to the School; and
WHEREAS, the School of Nursing will celebrate the centennial of its founding in 2001;
RESOLVED that the Board of Visitors expresses its gratitude for the generosity of the donor and establishes The Centennial Distinguished Professorship in Pediatric Nursing, to be held in the School of Nursing.
AGENDA ITEM:B. Establishment of Professorship Approval to establish Professorship
ROBERT J. ROBERTS PROFESSORSHIP IN PEDIATRICS
BACKGROUND: Gifts have been made to establish a chair in Pediatrics in the School of Medicine. It is proposed that the chair be called the Robert J. Roberts Professorship in Pediatrics.
Dr. Robert J. Roberts was chair of the Department of Pediatrics in the School of Medicine and director of the Childrens Medical Center from 1987 until his death in January, 1997. He worked to extend pediatric care beyond Charlottesville and under his leadership three satellite pediatric clinics were established: two subspecialty clinics in Warrenton and Winchester and the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Center at the Childrens Medical Center, which later was renamed in his honor.
Dr. Roberts was a mentor to junior faculty and in 1996, he and his wife Donna created the Roberts Achievement Award for Outstanding Junior Pediatric Faculty. He was known as well as a first rate research investigator and from 1991 to 1996 he was the principal investigator of the Child Health Research Center, which is sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
The Roberts Professorship, which will be held in the Department of Pediatrics at the School of Medicine, has been funded with gifts and commitments from the Department of Pediatrics, the Charles A. Dana Foundation, and the Office of the Vice President and Provost for the Health System.
DISCUSSION: The President will propose the establishment of the Robert J. Roberts Professorship in Pediatrics.
ACTION REQUIRED: Approval by the Board of Visitors
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE ROBERT J. ROBERTS PROFESSORSHIP IN PEDIATRICS
WHEREAS, Dr. Robert J. Roberts was Chair of the Department of Pediatrics and Director of the Childrens Medical Center from 1987 until his death in 1997; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Roberts was a superb physician, teacher and researcher; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Roberts worked to extend and improve patient care programs for children in Virginia and expanded the services of the Childrens Medical Center and the Department of Pediatrics;
RESOLVED that the Board of Visitors establishes the Robert J. Roberts Professorship in Pediatrics, to be held in the Department of Pediatrics of the School of Medicine, and in so doing pays tribute to the contributions and devoted service of Dr. Roberts to his patients, his students and the University of Virginia.
AGENDA ITEM:C. Naming of the New Residence Hall on Alderman Road
NAMING OF THE NEW RESIDENCE HALL ON ALDERMAN ROAD IN HONOR OF
MR. T. BRAXTON WOODY
BACKGROUND: The newest University dormitory, which will be for first year students, is under construction on the lower slope of Observatory Mountain just behind the Alderman Road dormitories. If the present construction schedule is met, the dormitory should be ready for entering students at the end of August.
It is proposed that the dormitory be named Woody House, in honor of the late T. Braxton Woody, an alumnus and a member of the faculty of the University for 43 years.
Thaddeus Braxton Woody, a Petersburger, took his B.A. from the University in 1923. He did graduate work at the University of Puerto Rico, the Sorbonne and at Indiana University, and after teaching at Indiana and at Northwestern University, he returned to the University in 1928 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Romance Languages. He retired in 1971 as Professor Emeritus. He was an imaginative and demanding teacher and he is remembered with affection by those he taught.
Mr. Woody served for some thirteen years as an Assistant Dean of the College. In this capacity, he was asked in 1968 by President Shannon to be chairman of a committee to study the possibility of coeducation beyond the limited coeducation which had been in effect since 1920. The Woody Committees report, which was given to the President at the end of 1968, recommended coeducation and laid the groundwork for the unrestricted admission of women undergraduates in 1970.
Mr. Woodys contributions to the University community were numerous. A notion of the range of these can be seen in some of the awards he received: the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, the Raven Award, the Imp Award and the Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award he was the first recipient of the
latter, in 1966. The Jefferson Society, to which he belonged as a student, in 1985 established the Jefferson Society T. Braxton Woody Award in French and the Jefferson Society T. Braxton Woody Award in Spanish. In 1994, the Student Council founded the Braxton Woody Award, to be given every year to the "professor who has gone beyond the confines of the classroom to preserve Mr. Jeffersons vision of a close personal relationship between students and faculty." He was, in addition, a strong supporter of the Honor System and of the work of the Honor Committee.
For the Raven Societys 75th anniversary dinner in 1979, Virginius Dabney composed an eloquent toast which evoked the spirit of Edgar Allan Poe. Beginning with the Societys annual dinner in 1980 and until only a very few years ago when he became too feeble to attend a high point of the evening was Mr. Woodys spirited recitation of the toast, from memory and without notes or prompting.
Mr. Woody died in Charlottesville on January 9, 2000; he was 98.
DISCUSSION: The President will propose the naming of the
New Residence Hall on Alderman Road
REQUIRED: Approval by the Board of Visitors
NAMING OF THE NEW RESIDENCE HALL ON ALDERMAN ROAD IN HONOR OF MR. T. BRAXTON WOODY
WHEREAS, Thaddeus Braxton Woody, a native of Petersburg and an alumnus of the University of Virginia, joined the faculty in 1928 as Assistant Professor of Romance Languages; and
WHEREAS, Mr. Woody was recognized in numerous ways both for his superb teaching and for his support of the Jeffersonian precepts of close relations between faculty and students, as exemplified in the concept of the "academical village;" and
WHEREAS, Mr. Woody was an Assistant Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Chair of the faculty committee which in 1968 recommended unrestricted undergraduate coeducation; and
WHEREAS, Mr. Woody died on January 9, 2000;
RESOLVED that the new first year dormitory under construction behind the Alderman Road dormitories be named Woody House in honor of Thaddeus Braxton Woody.
AGENDA ITEM:II. Report on the Naming of Neuroradiology Suites in Memory of Dr. Wayne S. Cail
BACKGROUND: Although the naming of buildings at the University is done by the Board of Visitors, the naming of rooms is approved by the Names Committee but not brought to the Board for action. The recent naming of the Neuroradiology Suites is brought to you simply as a report.
The Neuroradiology Suites are in the Department of Radiology on the first floor of the University Hospital. They are made up of a number of rooms which together constitute 4600 square feet. They have been named in honor of Dr. Wayne S. Cail, who died earlier this year.
Dr. Cail came to the University as a resident in 1975, and he held a fellowship in Neuroradiology before joining the faculty in 1979. He built the Neuroradiology Division into one of the most productive and responsive services at the Hospital. He was a mentor to residents and fellows and he was regarded as the premier resource for central nervous system diagnosis in the Health System. Dr. Bruce Hillman, the Chair of Radiology, has called him "among the most respected, admired and liked individuals in the department."