AND GROUNDS COMMITTEE
Friday, October 15, 1999
11:15 11:45 a.m.
East Oval Room, The Rotunda
|Albert H. Small, Chair||Robert G. Schoenvogel|
|William G. Crutchfield, Jr.||Benjamin P.A. Warthen|
|William H. Goodwin, Jr.||James C. Wheat, III|
|Terence P. Ross||John P. Ackerly, III, Ex Officio|
I. CONSENT AGENDA (Mr. Sandridge)
A. Architectural Design Guidelines, Fayerweather Hall Renovation
B. Demolition of Vivarium Buildings
- Fiscal Impact Statement
II. REPORTS BY THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (Mr. Sandridge)
A. Vice Presidents Remarks
- Scott Stadium Expansion Update
B. Report on the Actions of the Buildings and Grounds Committee (Mr. Small)
C. Darden School Expansion
D. Miscellaneous Reports
- Major Projects
- Professional Services Contracts
CONSIDERATION OF THE PAVILION ASSIGNMENT POLICY
I. CONSENT AGENDA
A. ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN GUIDELINES, FAYERWEATHER HALL RENOVATION: Approval of architectural design guidelines
The Fayerweather Hall Renovation project will convert Fayerweather Hall from studio art space to art history space. This will allow the art history program to consolidate most of its offices, labs, and exhibit spaces into one building. The studio art program will move into temporary space until a new studio art building is built. The project includes the complete renovation of Fayerweather Hall, the demolition of the Fayerweather Hall Annex, and the construction of a small in-fill addition on the west side of the building. The University received a $400,000 general fund, planning authorization for this project from the 1999 General Assembly and has submitted a $4,600,000 general fund, construction authorization request to the Governor for the 2000-2002 biennium. The selection of Dagit Saylor Architects as the project architect was approved on March 27, 1998.
ACTION REQUIRED: Approval by the Buildings and Grounds Committee and the Board of Visitors
APPROVAL OF THE ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN GUIDELINES FOR THE FAYERWEATHER HALL RENOVATION PROJECT
RESOLVED that the architectural design guidelines, dated October 15, 1999, prepared by Dagit Saylor Architects and the Architect for the University, for the Fayerweather Hall Renovation project are approved; and
RESOLVED FURTHER that the project will be presented for further review at the schematic design level of development.
Fayerweather Hall Renovation
Architectural Design Guidelines
October 15, 1999
Inherent in these Guidelines is the intent and scope of the Vision Statement for the Buildings and Grounds of the University of Virginia adopted by the Board of Visitors on May 21, 1991. The Vision Statement shall be the primary reference for the overall design and planning of the project. These Guidelines are intended for the renovation of and an addition to Fayerweather Hall for the use of the McIntire Department of Art.
Fayerweather Hall is located on Carr's Hill just to the east of the President's House. It fronts on Rugby Road across from Madison Bowl. The building was constructed as a gymnasium in 1893. In the 1920's it was converted for use by the architecture department until their move to Campbell Hall in the late 1960s. Since then Fayerweather Hall and its metal addition, located to the west, have been occupied by the McIntire Department of Art. The 3-story red brick neo-Georgian building forms part of the Rugby Road - University Corner Historic District which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The renovation of this structure for the use of Art History conforms with the 1987 Master Plan and the September 1998 feasibility study for the development of Carr's Hill as the University's art precinct. The proposed project will demolish the "temporary" metal addition to the west, completely gut and rebuild the Fayerweather interior to meet current Art History requirements as well as current life safety codes, and add a small one-story addition to the west side. The exterior, which has been altered significantly over the years, will be cleaned, repaired, and restored in a manner sympathetic with the original design.
There are no roadways or parking related to this project. Landscaping will consist of greening the newly open area between the President's House and Fayerweather Hall created by the demolition of the metal addition. This area is proposed as the future entrance to the Arts Precinct. The renovation and new addition will be designed to relate the building gracefully to the landscape in the tradition of other historic buildings on the University's Grounds.
I. B. DEMOLITION OF VIVARIUM BUILDINGS: Approval to remove three buildings at the Vivarium
Three small, vacant buildings at the Universitys Vivarium have no planned use and are deteriorating. Since renovation is not a viable option, we have initiated the state approval process for the demolition of these structures.
ACTION REQUIRED: Approval by the Buildings and Grounds Committee and the Board of Visitors.
APPROVAL TO REMOVE THREE VIVARIUM BUILDINGS
WHEREAS, the University owns three small buildings (FAACS Building Numbers: 207-1670; 207-1672; and 207-1673) at the Vivarium property on the east side of Route 20 south of Charlottesville in Albemarle County; and
WHEREAS, these structures have not been used for several decades; and
WHEREAS, the Governor of Virginia delegated to the Board of Visitors, pursuant to Executive Order Number Thirty-Four (98), dated November 10, 1998, the authority of the Governor to approve the removal of buildings on state property, with the advice and counsel of the Art and Architectural Review Board, and the review of the Department of Historic Resources;
RESOLVED that the removal of the Vivarium buildings, 207-1670, 207-1672, and 207-1673, is approved by the Board of Visitors pending approval by the Art and Architectural Review Board and the Department of Historic Resources; and
RESOLVED FURTHER that the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer is authorized to execute any and all documents pertaining to the removal of the aforementioned buildings, and that the said officer ensure that the required report regarding the building removal is sent to the Department of General Services.
FISCAL IMPACT STATEMENT
PROJECT/PROPOSED BOARD OF VISITORS ACTION: Demolition of three buildings at the Vivarium
DESCRIPTION: Three small, one story buildings are located on the Vivarium property on Route 20 south of Charlottesville. The first structure is a 2,031 gross square foot, masonry residence. The second is a 228 gross square foot, frame office lab building. The third is 480 gross square foot, frame primate building. These structures serve no useful purpose.
FISCAL IMPACT: The estimated cost of demolition is $9,000. The presence of asbestos or lead-based paint may result in increased demolition costs, however these costs would also be incurred if the facilities were rebuilt. The estimated cost of rebuilding the structures is $105,000. The cost to stabilize the buildings exceeds the demolition cost.
Funds are available to cover the cost of demolition from the Universitys operating budget.
CONCLUSION: Since there are no current or planned uses for these buildings, the buildings should be demolished before they become hazardous. It is cost effective to demolish the buildings.
APPROVAL OF BOARD ACTION: Leonard W. Sandridge
October 1, 1999
II.A. Vice Presidents Remarks
ACTION REQUIRED: None
DISCUSSION: Scott Stadium Expansion. The Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer will provide an update on the Scott Stadium Expansion project.
II.B. Report on the Actions of the Buildings and Grounds Committee
ACTION REQUIRED: None
June 15, 1999 Meeting of the Buildings and Grounds Committee
DISCUSSION: The Buildings and Grounds Committee met on June 15, 1999 to review the Master Plan Update and receive reports on the Groundswalk, the Special Collections Library, and the Assignment of Pavilion IX.
Master Plan Update: The master plan update was approved after a review of its principles and recommendations by the Vice President for Management and Budget and the Architect for the University.
Groundswalk: Mr. Adam Gross of the Baltimore firm of Ayers/Saint/Gross led a detailed discussion of the Groundswalk. While many aspects of the plan were reviewed, Committee discussion focused on the Emmet Street bridge. Of the three proposals that were presented, the Committee supported the $3.2 million option which is based on the use of a prefabricated bridge with stone or brick abutments.
Special Collections Library: The Committee approved the recommended design revision to the buildings façade, but requested that the architect investigate alternative roof profiles for discussion with the Committee at the preliminary design review stage.
Assignment of Pavilion IX: Mr. Gilliam reported that Pavilion IX has been assigned to Ms. Karen van Lengen, new dean for the School of Architecture, for a one year period while she builds a house.
September 23, 1999 Meeting of the Buildings and Grounds Committee
DISCUSSION: The Buildings and Grounds Committee met on September 23, 1999 to review 1) architectural design guidelines for the Law School Expansion and Darden School Expansion projects, 2) preliminary designs for the Special Collections Library and the Student Center at the College at Wise, 3) a revised preliminary design for the East Precinct Chiller Plant, and 4) schematic designs for the Darden School Expansion and the NRAO Addition and Renovation. The Committee also received reports on the Scott Stadium Expansion, Office of Admission, Groundswalk, the Universitys Representative to the Art and Architectural Review Board, Darden School Expansion, and Academical Village Improvements.
Architectural Design Guidelines, Law School Expansion: The architectural design guidelines were approved.
Architectural Design Guidelines, Darden School Expansion: The architectural design guidelines were approved.
Preliminary Design, Special Collections Library: The preliminary design was approved.
Schematic Design, Darden School Expansion: The schematic design was approved, but the Committee asked that further studies be done for 1) the location and detailing of the parking garage, 2) the ground floor entrance to the Darden Center, 3) the alignment of the bookstore wing, and 4) the number of exits for the residential wing of Sponsors Hall.
Schematic Design, NRAO Addition and Renovation: The schematic design was approved, but the Committee requested that the Administration work with NRAO to determine if it is financially feasible to expand the project scope to include improvements to the exterior of the existing building.
Preliminary Design, Student Center The University of Virginias College at Wise: The preliminary design was approved.
Revised Preliminary Design, East Precinct Chiller Plant: The revised preliminary design was approved.
Scott Stadium Expansion: The Committee received a report on the status of the Scott Stadium Expansion project which indicated the project is on schedule and within budget. In response to the report the Committee passed the following resolution:
RESOLVED, that the Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Board of Visitors has reviewed the plans for the south end of Scott Stadium, as part of the Scott Stadium Expansion project, and approves them and the landscaping proposed by the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the University.
Office of Admission: The Committee received a report that all of the student groups, with the exception for the radio stations, have been moved out of Peabody Hall to Newcomb Hall or to the basement level of the Rugby Road Faculty Apartments. It was also reported that the University is waiting for the Governors approval of the renovation project.
Groundswalk: The Committee received a report that 1) the University has identified a plan for funding the $2.2 million which was needed to match the $1 million federal grant and to fully fund the Phase 1 project, 2) a request for the construction authorization has been submitted to the Governor for the 2000-2002 biennium, 3) the request is likely to be approved and would be effective July 1, 2000, and 3) the design work is to begin this winter.
University Representative to the Art and Architectural Review Board: The Committee was informed that Mary Hughes, University Landscape Architect, has been appointed by the Governor as the Universitys representative to the Art and Architectural Review Board.
Darden School Expansion Project: It was reported to the Committee that the cost of the Darden project will most likely exceed the current $40 million budget. Once the Darden Foundation approves a revised budget, it will be presented to the Finance Committee for approval. It was also reported that based on a financing study prepared by the Darden Foundation, the University has decided to issue the bonds for the project.
Academical Village Improvements: The Committee received an update on current projects in the Academical Village.
List of Major Projects: The Chair requested that the Administration prepare a comprehensive list of projects it wishes to pursue so that the Committee could assist in development of an implementation plan.
II.C. Darden School Expansion
ACTION REQUIRED: None
DISCUSSION: At its September 23, 1999 meeting the Buildings and Grounds Committee approved the schematic design for the Darden School Expansion, but expressed concerns about 1) the location and detailing of the parking garage, 2) the ground floor entrance to the Darden Center, 3) the alignment of the bookstore entrance, and 4) the number of exits for the residential wing of Sponsors Hall. Ayers/Saint/Gross, the project architect, has developed refinements that will be presented to the Committee.
II.D. Miscellaneous Reports
ACTION REQUIRED: None
DISCUSSION: These are reports which are provided to the Buildings and Grounds Committee at each meeting.
III. Consideration of the Pavilion Assignment Policy
DISCUSSION: Ms. Twohy will report on the recommendations made by the special committee appointed by the Rector to study the Pavilion assignment procedures.
Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Modified: Thursday, 02-Jul-2009 08:16:59 EDT
© 2000 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia