This grand name belongs to a tiny cottage, the oldest structure on Carr's Hill. The structure was built next to Mrs. Carr's boarding house by University students William G. Field and Phillip B. Jones, Jr., both of Culpeper County. As the Civil War approached both men found themselves in love with the same woman, Miss Betty Morris. The friends pledged that should one of them be killed, the other would marry Betty and name their first born son for the fallen friend. Field was killed at the battle of Mulvern Hill. Jones lived to return to the University, marry Betty, and live with her in Buckingham Palace until he completed his studies. They named their first son William Field. From 1888 through 1894 this cottage was used by members of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity for lodging and for fraternity meetings. The cottage was then used for the next ten years (until 1904) for student housing. During the years of the Shannon administration the cottage was used as a playhouse for their five daughters. Today Buckingham Palace is used as a guest cottage.
North of the terrace is a cast iron capital that survived the fire in Jefferson's Rotunda in 1895. It now anchors a planting of colorful perennials. Mature boxwood loom over one side of the patio, offset by golden sprays of kerria in the corners. To the north, bluestone paths provide access to Campbell Hall, which houses the University's School of Architecture, and to the east, to the newly renovated Fayerweather Hall, the home of the Art History Department.
The Carriage House was designed by architect Stanford White and built in 1908 (one year before the President's House was completed). The Carriage House is now used for storage and as an office for the Carr's Hill gardener.
A remnant of the dormitories built on Carr's Hill by the University after the Civil War, this cottage serves as an office and a guest cottage for visitors to Carr's Hill.
This one-story building just to the northeast of Carr's Hill cottage is a portion of the dining hall built in 1888 for the students living in the dormitories on Carr's Hill. Years later, it became the home of the Leakes, a family with strong connections to the University. After several years of use as faculty housing, Leake Cottage was converted to an office in 1992.