News & Events
NEW 3/30/12: Greeks and Romans for Summer 2012 is now available.
Greeks and Romans for Fall 2012 is now available in PDF format.
The new 2011-2012 edition of Vox Classica, our departmental newsletter, is now available in PDF.
The department is now on Facebook! Check it out for event announcements, photos, and more.
Spring Term 2013
- Feb. 27 (Wed.), Gregory Hays (UVA Classics), 'Pages from the Past: Medieval Manuscripts at UVA.' 5:30 PM, Harrison/Small Auditorium. Friends of Classics talk. Reception to follow.
- Mar. 20 (Wed.), Hugh Bowden (King's College London),'"King Alexander the Invincible God": Alexander the Great and Ruler Cult.' 5:00 PM, Gibson Room. Co-sponsored by Classics, History, and Art.
- Mar. 23 (Sat.), 17th Annual Graduate Student Colloquium, Nox Erat: Night and Nocturnal Activities in the Ancient World.' Keynote Speaker: Catherine Keane, Washington University in St. Louis, "Lucubration Nation." Time TBA, Minor Hall Auditorium.
- Mar. 26 (Tue.), Walter Scheidel (Stanford), 'The Lives of the Twelve Hundred Caesars: Roman Emperors, Global Comparisons.' 5:00 PM, Rouss/Robertson Room 254. Co-sponsored by History, Art, and Classics.
- Apr. 12 (Fri.), Gregson Davis (NYU), 'Amores Solliciti: The Vergilian Critique of Elegiac Amor in Bucolics 10.' 3:00 PM, Rotunda, Lower West Oval Room. Annual Arthur F. Stocker Lecture.
- Apr. 22 (Mon.), Salvador Bartera (Univ. of Tennessee), 'Tacitus' Virgil.' 5:00 PM, Gibson Room. Second Annual Classics Alumni Lecture.
- Sept. 21 (Fri.), Christopher Francese (Dickinson College), 'Classical Commentary in a Digital Environment.' 3:00 PM, Nau Hall 341.
- Sept. 22 (Sat.), Fall meeting of the Classical Assoc. of Virginia. Newcomb Hall, South Meeting Room.
- Sept. 27 (Thurs.), John F. Miller (University of Virginia), Inaugural lecture as Arthur F. and Marian W. Stocker Chair: ‘Virgil's Salian Hymn to Hercules.’ 5:00 PM, Gibson Room, Cocke Hall. (Friends of Classics Lecture).
- Oct. 4 (Thurs.), Peter Knox (University of Colorado), ‘Picturing Ovid at Pompeii.’ 5:00 PM, Rouss Hall, Room 254.
- Oct. 15 (Mon.), Hunter R. Rawlings III (American Association of Universities), 'The Future of the University.' 4:00 PM, Minor Hall auditorium.
- Oct 15 (Mon.), Ruth Scodel (University of Michgian), ‘Homeric Theory of Mind.’ Annual James Constantine Lecture, 5:30 PM, Gibson Room, Cocke Hall.
- Nov. 2 (Fri.), Kathleen Lynch (University of Cincinnati), 'At Home in Archaic Athens: The The Archaeology of a House near the Athenian Agora.' 160 Campbell. (AIA Lecture).
- Nov. 8 (Thurs.), Maggie Kilgour (McGill University), 'Ovidian Tradition.' 5:00 PM, Gibson Room, Cocke Hall.
- Nov. 13-15 (Tues.-Thurs.), Peter Brown (Princeton University), Page-Barbour Lectures. All lectures will be in the Harrison Auditorium with a reception to follow.
- Lecture 1: ‘'Remember the Poor': Leadership and Giving from Paul to Cyprian.’ Tuesday, November 13 at 4 pm.
- Lecture 2: ‘'In the Likeness of the Angels': Alms and Labor in Third- and Fourth-Century Syria.’ Wednesday, November 14 at 4 pm.
- Lecture 3: ‘'The Work of the Hands . . . the Glory of Egypt': Monks and Work in Fourth-Century Egypt.’ Thursday, November 15 at 4pm.
- Nov. 16 (Fri.), Martha C. Nussbaum (University of Chicago, Institute of the Humanities and Global Cultures), TBA.