Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I make Chapel reservations?
A: Wedding reservations are taken up to one year to the month in advance (by lottery) except for the months of September, October and November for the U.Va. Chapel, located at the corner of University Avenue and McCormick Road. For more information, contact the U.Va. Reservations Office at (434) 924-3203 or

Q: Can I use U.Va. facilities for meeting space?
A: The University Center rents meeting space to community members in the Zehmer Hall Conference Center, a nearly 7,000 square-foot facility. For more information, contact U.Va.’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies at (434) 982-5252 or

University Hall may also be used as space for meetings and special events. For more information, contact the Director of Event Management for the U.Va. Athletics Department at (434) 982-5153.

Q: How do I apply for a U.Va. job?
A: U.Va. employs over 12,000 faculty and staff in the areas of information technology, engineering, research and development, business, finance, administration, public relations, athletics and facilities management. For more information, visit

U.Va.’s Medical Center has a wide range of positions, including those in nursing, therapy, administration and technology. For more information,

U.Va.’s Facilities Management offers a four-year apprenticeship program that combines on-the-job training with classroom instruction. This program is open to anyone with a high school diploma or G.E.D. Past apprenticeships have been in electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation/air conditioning, masonry, carpentry, sheet metal and electronics. For more information, contact U.Va.’s Facilities Management Department at (434) 924-1777.

Q: How can I tour the Rotunda and the Lawn?
A: Guided tours of the Rotunda and Lawn are provided year-round, except during Winter Break, spring recess, exam periods and summer. Provided free of charge, tours meet daily at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m., and 4 p.m. at the Rotunda entrance accessed from the basment level. Groups of 15 or more may request a special tour by completing the tour request form. For more information, visit University Guide Service or call (434) 924-7969.

Q: How do I buy surplus property?
A: Much of U.Va.'s surplus property may be purchased online at Surplus furniture may be purchased locally at Morris Mill Antiques and Consignment in two locations, Staunton and Pantops. For more information, visit

For more general frequently asked questions, please see Top Q&A About U.Va.

Print Version | Web Version | Text Version