In our fourth year, Lavender Graduation is a special graduation ceremony that honors the achievements of graduating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and ally students at the University of Virginia. We seek to recognize graduating fourth years, graduate, and doctoral students of all races, ethnicities, and backgrounds. Lavender Graduation provides a safe space to honor those graduating students, not only for their scholastic achievements, but for their successes, challenges, obstacles, and achievements navigating their time at U.Va. as a member of the LGBTQ community. We seek to recognize and honor students, not only for what they have done, but for being who they are.
Please join us for a host of speeches and congratulatory remarks from members of the faculty, administration, and Class of 2012, followed by the presentation of the lavender stole. A catered reception for all graduates, friends, family, and guests will immediately follow the ceremony.
Please note, we respect and honor all degrees of “outness” and confidentiality. Participants are welcomed, but not required to wear their lavender stole during Final Exercises on Sunday, May 20th.
To participate in the 2011 Lavender Graduation Ceremony, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information by Tuesday, May 15th, 2012:
- Your Full Name
- Degree Earned/Major/Course of Study
- Optional: Any prior degrees you hold, and from where you received them
- Optional: Any involvement in the LGBTQ community you wish to have recognized (leadership positions, projects, programs, research, etc).
- Optional: Your plans post-graduation.
Please indicate any of the following:
- I plan to attend the ceremony on May 18th and would like to receive a lavender stole.
- I plan to attend the ceremony on May 18th, but would not like to receive a lavender stole.
- I am unable to attend the ceremony on May 18th, but would still like to be recognized (name read, program) and receive a lavender stole.
- I would like to receive information/communication about The Serpentine Society, U.Va’s LGBTQ Alumni Network.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Congratulations to the Class of 2012! We hope to see you on May 18th!
Program Coordinator, LGBT Student Services
Office of the Dean of Students