Garden I: 200 people max
Garden II: 200 people max
Garden V: 200 people max
Garden VIII*: 300 people max
Garden IX: 300 people max
Garden X**: 50 people max
There is no rental fee for the Gardens listed above. Please note that these gardens are the lower gardens behind each pavilion. The upper garden is reserved for the pavilion resident at all times.
*Pavilion VIII does not have a wall between the private terrace and the garden so please note that the terrace is private at all times.
**Pavilion X has three tiers and the lowest tier is the only space available for use. The middle and upper tiers are private.
To request one of the above gardens, please go to The SOURCE.
The even-numbered gardens are located on the east side of the Lawn and the odd-numbered gardens are located on the west side of the Lawn.
Any individual affiliated with UVa (current student, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, or his or her immediate family members) may reserve the Gardens listed above for a private social event up to one year in advance of the event date. CIOs, FOAs, Special Status Groups and University Departments may also reserve these Gardens.
Garden VII may be reserved through the Colonade Club. Gardens III, IV, and VI are private and cannot be reserved at this time.
Only the Lower Gardens are available for reservation.
The Gardens reserved through Newcomb Event Planning are available for reservation between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. or until dusk, whichever comes first. All setup and cleanup must take place within the reservation time.
There are no restroom facilities in the Gardens. The closest restroom facilities are located in the Rotunda (open 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on weekdays) and Old Cabell Hall.
Electrical outlets are not available for public use in the Gardens.
We encourage you to consider reserving a rain site or rain date, as tents cannot be used in the Gardens.
Food may be provided by the requester or through the private caterer. Events sponsored by student organizations must comply with the University Policy on Food Service Provided by Student Organizations.
To order chairs and tables you may use a rental company.
For events which involve alcohol, attendance must be limited to organization members/individual sponsor and their invited guests. Any and all events which involve alcohol must be approved by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. (See below for more details.)
Regulations and Guidelines for the Pavilion Gardens
The following guidelines apply for all use of the Gardens:
- Reservations shall be for the “lower” garden only and not the upper garden adjacent to the Pavilion (except in Garden VIII which is not divided by shrubs or a wall).
- Setup and breakdown shall occur within the reservation time and immediately prior to and following event, unless special arrangements have been made. Please notify your caterer and/or rental company accordingly. Tables, chairs and other equipment shall not be left in the Gardens overnight.
- Activities must be confined to the Garden paths and grassy areas only. There shall be no intrusion into mulch areas or beds, nor sitting or climbing on the Garden walls. Tables, chairs and other equipment shall not be placed in mulch areas or beds.
- The following are not permitted in the Gardens: amplified sound, lights, grills, or tents.
- Ice and trash shall be removed from the Gardens immediately following the event. Ice shall not be dumped in any area of the Garden. All trash must be placed in the nearest dumpster or trash receptacle.
- For events which involve alcohol, attendance must be limited to organization members and their invited guests. Any and all events which involve alcohol must be approved by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The alcohol service approval form is available from the VPSA website. “Bring your own alcohol” events and kegs are NOT permitted in the Gardens. The sponsoring individual may bring in alcohol for the entire function, if approved to do so by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs or the Office of the President.
- No restrooms or telephones are available for public use in the Gardens.
- No parking is provided or permitted by virtue of the Garden reservation. Questions regarding parking arrangements should be directed to the Department of Parking and Transportation at 434-924-7231.
- The sponsor shall be responsible for any and all costs to repair any area(s) of the Garden damaged by the sponsor or guests’ negligence or failure to follow University guidelines for use of outdoor areas.
For more information about the history of the gardens, please visit the University Gardens Website.