Programs and Services
The programs and services offered by the Office of the Dean of Students encourage student learning and interpersonal growth through general support for students with questions and concerns, incident reporting and response, and support and outreach to a diverse student body.
General Support for Students
- Access UVA Student Support · Provides comprehensive support services and programs for all students participating in the Access UVA financial aid program.
- Emergency Ride Program · The Emergency Ride Program provides taxi service to UVA students who find themselves in uncomfortable situations with no reliable or safe means of transportation and no money for cab fare. Students can call Yellow Cab (434.295.4131), charge the ride to UVA, and pay via the Student Information System—no questions asked. Billing Question? Call 434.924.8805
- Graduate and Professional Student Support · Provides information, coordinates activities, and supports graduate students and their organizations.
- Graduate School & Study Abroad Clearances · Facilitates disciplinary clearance reviews as required by many graduate school and study abroad applications.
- The Ivey F. Lewis Honor Loan Fund · The Honor Loan Fund is a stand-alone fund established to aid full-time University students in meeting their small, short-term financial needs by issuing interest-free loans for a maximum of $600. Contact: Lauren Cross (434) 924-7133
- Leadership Development Programs · Programs target students at three developmental levels: aspiring/emerging, engaging, and excelling/mentoring. Blueprint and Leadership 200x (L2K) are just two examples of the programs offered.
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Questioning (LGBTQ) Center · The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Questioning (LGBTQ) Center at the University of Virginia supports lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Off-Grounds Housing · The Off-Grounds Housing Manager provides support to students living Off-Grounds through education and advocacy, addressing many issues including: housing options, leases, tenant/land lord conflicts, University resources, and safety. Students are reminded that leases signed with landlords are private contracts to which the University is not a party.
- Reimbursement for Faculty Entertainment of Students · The Faculty Reimbursement Form (Download pdf), can be used to support faculty hosting and entertainment of students enrolled in their courses or who are their advisees. For questions, contact the Office of the Dean of Students by email or call (434) 924-7133.
- Students with Children · Students with Children strives to connect undergraduate and graduate students who are parents—or are facing/considering that prospect—with available resources, including each other, to help further their education, health, and well-being.
- Transfer Student Support · Provides general support and one-on-one counseling to all undergraduate transfer students.
Incident Reporting and Response
- Dean on Call · The Office of the Dean of Students provides 24-hour crisis management services to University students. Those in need of support or referrals should be aware that these services are available after hours by contacting the University Police Department at (434) 924-7166 and asking them to refer the issue to the Dean on Call.
- Just Report It · Bias Incident Reporting System. The University encourages prompt online reporting of bias complaints so that it can investigate the alleged facts for possible violation(s) of University policy, including the Standards of Conduct, and refer such complaints to law enforcement to determine whether an independent investigation for violation(s) of criminal law is warranted. A dean on call will respond promptly (typically within 24 hours) to any person who files a bias complaint.
- Sexual Violence Education and Resources · Informs and supports anyone who has experienced sexual assault or other sexual misconduct, as well as his/her significant other, while offering structured mediation and formal adjudication options through the Sexual Assault Board.
Multicultural Student Support and Outreach
- African-American Student Support · Working with colleagues in the Office of African-American Affairs provides support to African-American students.
- Asian/Asian Pacific American Student Services and Programs · Provides support and advocacy through peer education, mentoring programs, outreach, and assistance to A/APA student organizations.
- Hispanic/Latino, Native American, and Middle Eastern Student Services · Represents and supports the diverse interests of these students through mentoring, assistance to student organizations, cultural events, advocacy, and outreach.
- International Student Support · Working in conjunction with colleagues in the International Studies Office, Associate Dean Adriana Vito provides support to international students seeking to integrate into the University culture and community.