Haven’t found the right fit? Have an interest that isn’t being met by a current CIO? You can start a new student organization by following these steps:
- Check the list of organizations on atUVA to see if there is an organization that already meets your needs. You can search the directory, by categories, or get recommendations by identifying your interests.
- If there isn’t an organization already out there to meet your needs, you can start a new organization with an idea, at least two full-time student members to serve as officers, and a constitution. For a constitution template, click here (.doc). Your organization’s constitution must not be in conflict with the University’s Non-Discrimination Clause. The correct language to use for the constitution can be found in the CIO agreement. Your organization’s constitution must not be in conflict with the University’s Non-Discrimination Clause. The correct language to use for the constitution can be found in the CIO agreement.
- When you have your members names and email addresses, along with your constitution, go here, login and Click on Register a New Organization. When you have your members names and email addresses, along with your constitution, go here, login and Click on Register a New Organization. *Applications will be accepted September 17th, 2012- April 5th, 2013.
- Once you have logged on and submitted your organization’s information via www.atUVA.net, the Student Council Vice President of Organizations and Office of the Dean of Students will review your submission. If you are submitting a club sport, an Intramural-Recreational Sport representative will need to review the submission.
- The Vice-President of Organizations for Student Council will meet with the organization to discuss the CIO. After meeting with the organization, the VPO will present the organization to the Representative Body of Student Council for approval. * The time for this process can vary depending on meetings, constitutional corrections, use of the University’s name, and meeting with the VPO.
- Once a CIO has been approved, the President will be notified via atUVa messaging system. CIOs will need to attend a Treasurer’s meeting and HOO’s In the Know? New CIO Workshop. *Emails will be sent out to new CIOs about meeting times.
- Your organization must be approved before you can apply for Appropriations, reserve space, and use SAC and MAC resources. For a list of SAC and MAC resources and operating hours please visit the SAC & MAC homepage.