It is often a challenge to learn how to balance between all the obligations that come with college life. Learning to effectively manage your time will ensure you avoid feeling overwhelmed and get the most out of your college experience.
The Five Steps to Effective Time Management:
Set goals for yourself. Setting goals is one of the best ways to track your progress and follow through.
- Try keeping a log of your daily activity for three days
- At the end of three days review your log and determine if there are things that are wasting your time or things you should be doing that you’re not
- Consider having someone else review your log to point out time-wasting habits that you may miss
- Make a “To-Do” List every morning
- Some find it helpful to also keep a 5 to 7 day list of long term projects
- Don’t become too frustrated if you don’t get everything done, just put it on the next day’s list!
- Looking at your to-do list and rewrite it putting high priority items at the top of the list and lower priority items at the bottom
- You determine how important someone is, it’s totally up to you!
- Work the things on your to-do list into your schedule
- Use a planner or PDA if you find it helpful
- Don’t schedule every minute of your day—leave time for breaks, socialization and unexpected things!
“Time Management for Leaders” University of Michigan
Getting Things Done: An Achiever’s Guide to Time Management