Associate Dean of Students
PO Box 400701
Newcomb Centers & Services (NCS) is an association of students, faculty, and staff dedicated to creating a uniquely vibrant and engaging community experience at the University of Virginia. Our vision is to be the hub of community activity at the University, create a living laboratory for student self-governance, and provide world-class service to students, colleagues, and guests.
Five units in the Office of the Dean of Students work collaboratively as the core of NCS to manage a diverse portfolio of programs, services, and facilities that support life on and around Grounds:
- Business Services & Operations
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Marketing & Communications
- Student Activities
- Technology & Audio Visual Services
To achieve our vision, we commit to the following strategic priorities:
- Deliver excellence in student organization support, including the coordination of major events and programs.
- Support innovative use of facilities and technology resources.
- Assess and advance student engagement.
- Provide world-class event planning services.
- Promote student leadership development.
Every day, the Newcomb team supports student involvement in over 700 student organizations, manages nearly 200,000 square feet of activity space across Grounds, and employs nearly 100 student staff to deliver a robust intellectual, professional, and social experience at the University of Virginia. In true Jeffersonian tradition, our students lead the way in defining their educational enterprise. They set goals, make decisions, plan and implement budgets, and in many similar ways both large and small manage an experience that, at many other places, would be more directly supervised by professional staff. Here, we truly partner with students to facilitate out-of-classroom opportunities that complement their daily learning.