In 2007, fire killed more people in the United States than in all natural disasters combined, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. You can take these simple steps to increase your fire safety:
- Plan and Practice: Have a fire escape plan so you know how to get out and where to go. Practice your plan.
- Detect: Have a smoke detector on each level of the building where you live and one in each sleeping area. Conduct a test on a monthly basis.
- Extinguish (if trained): Have a fire extinguisher in each kitchen area and one on each level of your living area. Know how to use the extinguisher.
- Keep Clear: Know where all your exits are located and keep these areas clear.
- Keep Away: Keep combustibles away from all heating sources (e.g., stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc.).