Severe Winter Weather - Winter Isn't For Sissies, So Get Ready
Snow. Subfreezing temperatures. Strong winds. Ice. Rain storms.
Winter weather in Virginia can knock out heat, power and communications services, sometimes for days at a time. Follow these tips to get ready now.
- Understand the terms used to identify winter weather
- Check and update your emergency supply kit before winter approaches
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter
- Check road conditions before driving by visiting the state's Web site or dialing 511.
- Look at the Operating Schedule section of the U.Va. homepage for the latest information on schedule changes or call the weather telephone lines [434-924-SNOW (7669) or 434-243-SNOW (7669)]
- U.Va. Alerts text messages will not be sent for winter weather events.
For information, contact the Office of Emergency Preparedness at 434-982-0565 or www.communityemergency.org.