One Council Letter
As your representative to the Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer (EVP&COO) Employee Communication Council, I will be voting in June on a proposal to consolidate our three existing Academic Division councils into one combined council, called the Staff Senate.
The new Staff Senate will represent over 5,100 staff. Officers and representatives of the current councils will remain in place through August 2015. Through the process of blending our smaller councils into a single entity, we intend to:
• Attain a higher visibility with University administration in order to better promote topics important to all our staff;
• Increase focus on goals and objectives, thereby allowing even more members to contribute;
• Broaden our impact on areas of interest and speed up response times to key issues;
• Strengthen commitments to our collaborative partners including One UVA, Faculty Senate, General Faculty Council, Student Council, and other constituency groups; and
• Increase our effectiveness and make an even greater impact for our constituents.
The Mission of the Staff Senate is to be a representative and deliberative voice for staff in matters relating to the University. The goals of the Staff Senate are to improve communication, to promote a sense of identity, recognition, and worth among staff, and to strengthen the relationship between staff and the University. This encompasses fostering an affirming and inclusive atmosphere, contributing to the success of the University, cultivating a positive and productive environment that enables staff to realize its full potential, and enjoying the highest possible quality of work life. The work of the Staff Senate is accomplished by communicating with the administration, collaborating with other constituency groups, developing recommendations for change, and participating in the University community.
The Staff Senate is committed to communicating on behalf of your interests, educating the University community about issues that affect staff, and providing support for professional development.
We look forward to serving as your voice. Please let us know if you have any thoughts, questions, or comments about the newly created Staff Senate.