The University of Virginia is committed to ensuring equal opportunity in access, employment and participation in the University's programs and activities. To fulfill its commitment as an equal opportunity employer as well as its legal obligations as a federal contractor, the University has adopted an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement and has established an Affirmative Action (AA) Program.
In the employment context, the University's Affirmative Action (AA) Program begins with annual written affirmative action plans prepared in accordance with federal regulations. An affirmative action plan is an analysis of data, both from within and outside the University, which identifies any areas within the University workplace where women and minorities are "underutilized." Areas of underutilization, in turn, become the focus of the University's "good faith efforts." "Good faith efforts" span recruitment, selection/hiring, promotion and retention processes. They may include, for example, using diverse recruiting sources, participating in job fairs, offering work-study programs, and/or providing career counseling.
But this is merely the starting-point. The University's AA Program extends beyond a pronouncement of good intentions and data analysis; it is intentional strategic efforts, programmatic initiatives and grass-roots projects, designed to recruit, hire and advance the best qualified individuals. The AA Program placement goals are used to measure the University's progress along a path of diversity, equity and inclusion, leading to fulfillment of the University's mission.
The University's Affirmative Action Plans are available for review at the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs, Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- The University of Virginia Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
- The Equal Opportunity Report (Pdf)
- Narrative of the 2014 Affirmative Action Plan for Veterans and Persons with Disabilities - Academic Agency 207 (Pdf)
- Narrative of the 2014 Affirmative Action Plan for Veterans and Person with Disabilities - College at Wise Agency 246 (Pdf)
- Narrative of the 2014 Affirmative Action Plan for Minorities and Women - Academic Agency 207 (Pdf)
- Narrative of the 2014 Affirmative Action Plan for Minorities and Women - College at Wise Agency 246 (Pdf)
Additional Information and Resources
- Affirmative Action - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Demographic Information - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Update on 2014-2015 Regulatory Changes for Federal Contractors (pdf)
- Affirmative Action Training -
- Unit Affirmative Action Managers -
- Internal AAP Reporting Site (Requires Eservices Account Login)