Overview, Mission & Vision
Why We Are Needed
The Office of Equal Opportunity Programs has a momentous charge that encompasses immense responsibilities. We are a service and resource organization that supports and advances the University's commitment to inclusion and equity by providing advice and leadership to administrators, faculty, and staff in their efforts to recruit and retain a diverse workforce and to ensure a learning community free from discrimination and harassment.
What We Do
- EOP supports and advances the University's goals to:
- provide for students and faculty an atmosphere conducive to fellowship and understanding and their constructive participation in the affairs of the University and the community
- strive for diversity in the student body and in the faculty and to promote international exchange of scholars and students
- expand educational opportunities for persons with special challenges such as minority status, physical disability, ethnic heritage, or insufficient resources
- Disseminate information about laws, policies, and procedures regarding equal opportunity, disability, harassment, discrimination and retaliation
- Provide educational training to faculty, staff and students about their rights and responsibilities with regard to equal opportunity
- Provide training regarding applicable laws and best practices for search processes to faculty and staff search committees
- Resolve discrimination, harassment and retaliation complaints
- Monitor compliance with equal opportunity laws and policies
- Facilitate and monitor faculty recruitment and hiring
- Develop and monitor the University's Affirmative Action Plan
- Prepare the University's responses to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's charges of discrimination and the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Human Resource Management's discrimination complaints
The Office of Equal Opportunity Programs is committed to eliminating discrimination and advancing equal access in all opportunities, programs, and facilities of the University in accordance with applicable federal laws, state laws, and University policy.
EOP - Setting the highest quality standards of ensuring Equity and Access for all.
Open and Honest Communication
Excellence in Service
Partnership and Collaboration
Diversity and Inclusion