Race/Ethnic Origin Data Collection
The University of Virginia is an Equal Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In accordance with federal regulations the University must record certain information for all persons we employ. This includes race/ethnic origin data. The information must be collected and maintained in a standardized fashion by the University in compliance with the categories set forth by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), the Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System (IPEDS), and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
The University's preferred method for collecting race/ethnic origin information is to provide all employees with the opportunity to voluntarily self-identify through the employee self-service in the Integrated System. Employees will not be subject to any adverse treatment for refusal to voluntarily provide the information. However, the University must designate in its personnel data system a race/ethnic origin category for every employee.
The federally mandated race/ethnic origin categories in use at the University are as follows:
- Hispanic/Latino Ethnicity
A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- Racial Categories
Employees may select one or more of the following racial categories:
- American Indian or Alaska Native - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North or South American (including Central America), and who maintains a tribal affiliation or community attachment.
- Asian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Black or African American - A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander - A person having origins in any other of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
- White - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
If you have questions about this record keeping requirement, please contract University Human Resources at (434) 982-0123 or the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs at (434) 924-3200.