Training and Education
Training and education are fundamental to maintaining an environment free from discriminatory harassment and retaliation. Managers, supervisors, faculty, deans, directors, and department heads are responsible for informing employees who are under their direction or supervision of the University's policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Student Affairs administrators are responsible for providing this information to the student body.
The Office of Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP) is responsible for providing educational training programs to assist members of the University community in understanding discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and how to address behaviors that violate University policy. Specifically, EOP will distribute copies of the Preventing and Addressing Discrimination and Harassment (PADH) and Preventing and Addressing Retaliation (PAR) policies to all schools, departments and programs at the University, and will conduct workshops and seminars on these issues and other relevant subjects. EOP will maintain brochures that explain in simple, understandable terms, the University's policies and procedures concerning discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and will maintain copies of the brochures in its office and at other offices where persons are likely to seek counseling and advice regarding discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Not On Our Grounds Responsible Employees Online Training Module
This online training module is provided to all Responsible Employees to ensure they understand the particular types of conduct that constitute Prohibited Conduct (e.g., sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, interpersonal violence, and retaliation) under University Policy (HRM-041), as well as their reporting responsibilities under the University’s separate Reporting Policy (HRM-040), including how, what, and where to report. The material covered by this training includes practical information on how to prevent and identify Prohibited Conduct and appropriate methods for responding to individuals who may have experienced Prohibited Conduct, including the use of nonjudgmental language. The training is required by Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
- Not on Our Grounds – Responsible Employee – (required for all University and University Medical Center employees)
- Not on Our Grounds – Responsible Employee Frequently Asked Questions
- Title IX/VAWA and Reporting Resources
Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Training
- Online Training Modules -
*New and updated versions addressing the PADH and PAR policies, and the Policy on Sexual and Gender-based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence (SH/IPV Policy) will be launched 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Employment Equity Training
The University of Virginia is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity. To this end, the University implements procedures encouraging all qualified applicants to apply for employment, including those in legally protected classes, and to select the individual who can best fulfill the requirements of the position. *
- EOP's Online Search Committee Training - (required for all search committee members) *link updated 8/17/2015
- Provost's Online Search Committee Tutorial - (required for tenured/tenure-track faculty positions only)
- University Staff Hiring Official Online Training - (required for the hiring official of a University Staff position) *link updated 8/17/2015
Managing Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation*
- EO Incident Checklist for Human Resources Professionals (pdf)
- EO Incident Checklist for Deans, Chairs, and Managers (pdf)
- EO Incident Intake - Checklist for HR Professionals (pdf)
- EO Incident Inquiry - Checklist for HR Professionals (pdf)
* These documents will be updated to reflect the SH/IPV Policy by Fall 2015.
Additional Resources and Training
- Federal and State Laws and Executive Orders (pdf)
- Prohibited Interview and Reference Check Questions (pdf)
- Affirmative Action Training Presentation - Introductory Course (in person, registration required)
- ADA Amendments Act Training Presentation (pdf)
- GINA Training Presentation (pdf)
- Veteran Employment and Re-employment Training Presentation (mp4 video)