Training and Education
Training and education are fundamental to maintaining an environment free from discriminatory harassment and retaliation. Managers, supervisors, faculty, deans, directors, and department heads are responsible for informing employees who are under their direction or supervision of the University's policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Student Affairs administrators are responsible for providing this information to the student body.
The Office of Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP) is responsible for providing educational training programs to assist members of the University community in understanding discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and how to address behaviors that violate University policy. Specifically, EOP will distribute copies of the "Preventing and Addressing Discrimination and Harassment" and "Preventing and Addressing Retaliation" policies to all schools, departments and programs at the University, and will conduct workshops and seminars on these issues and other relevant subjects. EOP will maintain brochures that explain in simple, understandable terms the University's policies and procedures concerning discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and will maintain copies of the brochures in its office and at other offices where persons are likely to seek counseling and advice regarding discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Preventing and Addressing Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Training
- Online Training Modules -
*New and updated versions will be launched the first week of February 2015. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Classroom Training Schedule - No offerings at this time.
Employment Equity Training
The University of Virginia is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity. To this end, the University implements procedures encouraging all qualified applicants to apply for employment, including those in legally protected classes, and to select the individual who can best fulfill the requirements of the position.
- EOP's Online Search Committee Training - (required for all search committee members)
- Provost's Online Search Committee Tutorial - (required for tenured/tenure-track faculty positions only)
- University Staff Hiring Official Online Training - (required for the hiring official of a University Staff position)
Managing Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation
- Training - Effectively Responding to and Managing EO Incidents (pdf)
- EO Incident Checklist for Human Resources Professionals (pdf)
- EO Incident Checklist for Deans, Chairs, and Managers (pdf)
- EO Incident Intake - Cheat Sheet for HR Professionals (pdf)
- EO Incident Inquiry - Cheat Sheet for HR Professionals (pdf)
Additional Resources and Training
- Federal and State Laws and Executive Orders (pdf)
- Prohibited Interview and Reference Check Questions (pdf)
- Affirmative Action Training Presentation - Introductory Course (in person, registration required)
- ADA Amendments Act Training Presentation (pdf)
- GINA Training Presentation (pdf)
- Veteran Employment and Re-employment Training Presentation (mp4 video)