April 5, 2002
Present: Robert E. Davis, Robert Grainger, Robert O'Connell, Robert J. Davis, Richard Warner, Pamela Kulbok, Robert E. Davis, Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, called the meeting to order.
The Committee read the minutes of the March 27, 2002, meeting. Richard Warner moved to approve the minutes, Robert O'Connell second the motion, and it passed unanimously.
Mr. Davis thanked the Committee members, and he said the initiatives undertaken by the Committee this year would have a lasting impact on the University. He said it has been a rewarding experience to chair the Committee this year.
Subcommittee on Graduate Student Support - Non-Funding, Richard Warner, Chair
· The Academic Affairs Committee members discussed Mr. Warner's report. Edits were suggested, and the group was encouraged to send additional comments to either Mr. Warner or Mr. Davis. Mr. Warner will revise the report and send it to Frances Peyton for distribution to the full Senate in advance of the April 23 meeting.
· One of the main priorities for graduate students is having a designated space for interacting and for social functions.
· The Subcommittee conducted a survey to see what peer institutions do for their graduate students.
· Space at Garrett Hall has been identified for the Graduate Student Council.
· It was noted that a graduate student center should be located at a centralized location that would accommodate all graduate students' needs.
· Joseph Grasso, Arts and Sciences Associate Dean for Planning and Operations, has been very helpful to the Subcommittee. Mr. Grasso will be invited to attend the full Senate meeting.
Subcommittee on Dissertation-Year Fellowships, Robert J. Davis, Chair
· Mr. Davis reported on the Dissertation-Year Fellowships review and selection process.
· There were 11 Fellowship recipients - 2 from Engineering, 1 from Education, and 8 from Arts and Sciences.
· There will be a banquet on May 1 to honor the Fellowship recipients.
Subcommittee on Graduate Student Support - Funding, Robert W. O'Connell, Chair
· The Committee discussed Mr. O'Connell's report. Suggestions were made for some minor changes to the Executive Summary and the report. Mr. O'Connell will make the edits and send the report to Frances Peyton for distribution to the full Senate in advance of the April 23 meeting.
Robert Grainger, Chair of the Faculty Senate, complimented the Committee on the excellent work they have done this year.
The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.