December 6, 2000
Present: Patricia Werhane, Robert Grainger, Michael Smith, Kathryn Neeley, Rebecca Kneedler, Donald Innes, Jr., George Cohen, Michael Levenson, Julian Connolly, William Kehoe, Doris Glick
Patricia Werhane, Chair of the Faculty Senate, called the meeting to order.
Ms. Werhane and the members of the Executive Council discussed the four commentary sessions of the Virginia 2020 Commissions, which were sponsored by the Faculty Senate.
Robert Grainger, Chair-Elect of the Faculty Senate, hosted the Science and Technology Commission Forum. Mr. Grainger commented that some issues/faculty concerns came out at the Forum that the Senate might want to address.
Peter Low, Vice President and Provost, said that the Dean's Retreat, which is being held on January 11, 2001, will focus solely on the 2020 Commission Reports. All deans have been asked for their comments to the reports by December 15, 2000. Ms. Werhane will draft a Senate report consisting of comments that have resulted from the Commission Forums, and she will add broader questions/concerns at the end of the report. The paper will consist of two parts: part one will address the issues brought up at the Forums, and part two will consist of the recommendations on the issues, from the Executive Council. The report will be circulated to Peter Low, John Casteen, Laurie Kelsh, the deans, the Commission chairs, and the Faculty Senate.
The Senate also discussed sponsoring a forum on the overall contents of the four Commissions' reports, and where the University would like to be in the Year 2020. The Executive Council will meet on Monday, January 8, 2001, to review the report/position paper before it is released. Doris Glick, Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, reported on the work of that Committee.
Ms. Glick said the Committee continues to work on the evaluation of the Teaching Initiative program. Kenneth Elzinga is chairing that subcommittee. The Academic Affairs Committee is discussing the possibility of developing a workshop on diversity with the remaining money in the Teaching Initiative budget. Marva Barnett, Director of the Teaching Resource Center, will attend the December 13 meeting to discuss this idea. Ms. Glick said there have not been any volunteers for a subcommittee on graduate student funding. Ms. Werhane indicated that she will continue to work on finding someone to chair this subcommittee.
William Kehoe, Chair of the Research and Scholarship Committee, reported on the work of that Committee. The main focus of the Committee has been the selection process for the Faculty Senate Harrison Undergraduate Research Award proposals, Mr. Kehoe said. There were a total of 95 applications, which were narrowed down to 62 during the First-Round Reviews. Of those 62 applications, 27 proposals were selected. Thirty-Five applications were left for the Second-Round Reviews. Of those 35 applications, 16 proposals were selected, for a total of 43 proposals being funded. Mr. Kehoe praised the high quality of the proposals submitted this year. In the Award letter to all successful applications, the Committee will indicate its desire for an intermediate progress report from recipients. Mr. Kehoe will gather data on last year's recipients of Harrison Awards, and a folder of procedures and past Award recipients will be created as a reference source for future Faculty Senate committees selecting Harrison Undergraduate Research Awards.
Patricia Werhane informed the group that Houston Wood, an Executive Council member, who was unable to attend the meeting, asked her to announce that the ROTC Affairs Committee is looking for scholarship money. Mr. Wood is Chair of the ROTC Affairs Committee.
Other Updates Reported by Ms. Werhane: 1. Keyword Project - Julian Connolly is heading this initiative. Mr. Connolly said the Registrar's Office and the ITC Office will play vital roles in this project's realization.
2. The Garden Room - The planned survey conducted by the Colonnade Club on faculty use of the room has yet to occur, but Ms. Werhane remained hopeful that it would happen. Other possibilities for faculty dining space will be explored as well.
3. Graduate Student Funding - A Senate subcommittee on this issue could perhaps begin by considering a report prepared by Melvyn Leffler's Office in Arts and Sciences. Robert Grainger agreed to follow up on the possibilities for such a subcommittee, which could also prepare a proposal to President Casteen, asking for dissertation funding. It was agreed that all possible sources of graduate funding-from alumni donations to entrepreneurial activities-should be pursued. All agreed that issues of graduate student funding, including the issue of health benefits, should be taken up seriously by the Senate.
Karin Wittenborg will attend the upcoming Faculty Senate meeting on Friday, December 15th, to discuss electronic journals and other library issues.
The Executive Council discussed the University's copyright policy. It was suggested that any information and/or policy changes should go to the full Senate in an effort to enhance faculty awareness of the copyright policy. There have been some concerns raised in the School of Engineering and Applied Science regarding the University's copyright policy. A copy of the policy and the Engineering School's concerns should be circulated to the Executive Council, and then to the full Senate, Ms. Werhane said.
Ms. Werhane told the Council members that a representative from Student Health has contacted her, asking the Faculty Senate to weigh in on the University's alcohol policy and alcohol use at the University. Ms. Werhane will contact Jahan Ramazani, Past Chair of the Faculty Senate, to ascertain the history of the Senate's involvement with this issue.
The meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Submitted by Michael J. Smith, Secretary of the Faculty Senate