Present: Houston Wood, Marcia Childress, Teresa Culver, Alison Booth, Erika
James, Edmund Kitch, Rebecca Kneedler, Steven Nock, William Kehoe, Susan Kirk
Guests: John Pickering, Faculty Senate Retreat Facilitator & Tyler St.
Clair, Faculty Senate Retreat Facilitator
Houston Wood, Chair of the Faculty Senate, called the meeting to order.
Introductions were made. Houston Wood and other Councilors gave Ms. Tyler St.
Clair and Mr. John Pickering an overview of the Faculty Senate and discussed
the work and mission of the group.
Retreat Discussion Topics Discussed:
- What is the role of the Senate
- What does the Senate do
- Overview of the Faculty Senate past, present, and future
- Faculty recruiting and retention
- The recent dismissal of a University staff member
- The issue of a living wage for all employees at the University
- How other faculty senates are organized, and should the Senate remodel
- A review of the Faculty Senate's history - presented by Marcia Childress
and Rebecca Kneedler, past Senate chairs
- A review of the role of the Senate and what the Senate has accomplished
- Discuss next steps " Forward "next steps" to the Faculty Senate Executive
- Development structure by the end of Spring to include committee chairs,
a work plan, and work structure.
Other Action Items:
- There should be an orientation each year for all new Senators
- There should be assigned seating at the Retreat
- All Senators should receive and read the Faculty Senate Constitution and
By Laws in advance of the January 27, 2006 Retreat
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
Submitted by Teresa Culver, Secretary of the Faculty Senate