Present: William R. Johnson, George P.
Mentore, Robert E. Davis, Daniel P. Hallahan,
Doris F. Glick, Laurence C. Pettit, Jr.
William R. Johnson, Chair of the Academic
Affairs Committee, called the meeting to
Mr. Johnson reminded everyone of the Faculty
Senate Forum on the Climate for Women at U.Va.
The forum will be in the Rotunda Dome Room at
2:00 p.m. The next full Faculty Senate meeting
will be held on Thursday, May 11, in the South
Meeting Room at Newcomb Hall.
The Faculty Senate Teaching Initiative grant
recommendations have been forwarded to the
Office of the Provost for Peter Low, Vice
President and Provost, to review. The Provost's
Office will send letters to everyone that
submitted a proposal, informing them of the
status of their proposals.
The Curry School of Education has submitted a
request to the Academic Affairs Committee to
change the name of the Department of Human
Services to "Program Area in Kinesiology." The
Curry School had an external review of their
program, and one recommendation of the external
review is to change the name to more effectively
communicate the program. The Curry School
faculty has had several discussions regarding
the name change, and a majority voted in favor
of this name change. Mr. Pettit made a motion
for the Academic Affairs Committee to approve
the name change, it was seconded, and it passed
unanimously. Mr. Johnson will forward the
Committee's approval of the name change to the
Provost. Mr. Johnson will also send a formal
letter to Rebecca Kneedler, Associate Dean for
Academic Affairs in the Curry School of
Education, regarding the approval.
William McAllister, a faculty consultant at
the Teaching Resource Center, will work with the
Academic Affairs Committee on evaluating the
Teaching Initiative program and identifying the
most innovative projects, Mr. Johnson reported.
A publication that details the results of this
evaluation may be circulated in the fall, and
the evaluation will be sent to the Provost by
December 1, 2000. Mr. Johnson asked for
volunteers to work with TRC on this initiative.
Laurence Pettit volunteered to help, and Mr.
Johnson will contact several other members of
the Academic Affairs Committee and ask if they
would be willing to help.
The progress of the faculty/student
interaction initiative was discussed. The
suggestions made by the Subcommittee on
Faculty/Student Interaction, chaired by Robert
Davis, were reviewed. Some of the suggestions
have been acted upon, and some of the
suggestions may be acted on in the future.
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.