For each meeting, an agenda digest has been provided to save time
since minutes are lengthy. The digest provides highlights and actions
taken at each meeting. For the full minutes, please contact Frances
March 24, 1998
Present: David Gies, Julian Connolly, Daniel Larson, Kenneth
Schwartz, Barbara Parker, Houston Wood, Jahan Ramazani
David Gies, Chair of the Committee on Research and Scholarship,
called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. in room 110 Peabody Hall.
Dan Larson, who is looking into Sesquicentennial Associateships
and how they are awarded in the various schools, reported on the
information gathered. Mr. Larson noted that further information
needs to be gathered. He read a statement from the Faculty Senate's
Grievance Committee, which notes that the process by which
Sesquicentennials are awarded needs to be consistent across schools.
Mr. Larson has gotten some feedback from Arts and Sciences, the Law
School and the School of Architecture, and he will attempt to gather
additional information. Barbara Parker volunteered to work with Mr.
Larson on this issue, and they will make recommendations to the
Research and Scholarship Committee.
Julian Connolly discussed technology initiatives. He has met with
Louise Dudley, Director of University Relations, and others regarding
technology initiatives. Mr. Connolly gave an overview of how
information on various events around the University could be posted
and used on a Web site. He will follow-up on the initiatives set
forth in that meeting and report to the Research and Scholarship
David Gies discussed programming initiatives and how such
initiatives could be funded. Mr. Gies developed a budget and
submitted it to Peter Low for consideration. Mr. Low indicated that
the Deans need to support refunding or continuous funding of
seminars. Mr. Gies and others will meet with Melvyn Leffler, Dean of
Arts and Sciences, to go over the budget requests.
David Gies continues to work on identifying a dining facility for
faculty. He has considered such locations as Scotts Stadium, the
Colonnade Hotel renovations, Newcomb Hall's Commonwealth Room, South
Meeting Room and the Cavalier Room. Kenneth Schwartz agreed to talk
to Mr. Dunkl, from the Colonnade Club Board of Directors, regarding
renovations, and he will report back to the Committee.
The Alderman Cafe will be developed, Mr. Gies reported. Mr. Gies
is working with Karin Wittenborg, University Librarian, on this
issue. Susan McKinnon has agreed to represent the Committee's
interests on this project. Mr. Gies will continue to work with the
administration in an effort to identify additional sites for such
The meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m.