For each meeting, an agenda digest has been provided to save time
since minutes are lengthy. The digest provides highlights and actions
taken at each meeting. For the full minutes, please contact Frances
Peyton (924-7643, firstname.lastname@example.org).
November 6, 1998
Present: Edward Ayers, Jahan Ramazani, Kathryn Neeley, Rebecca
Kneedler, Miles Townsend, Michael Williams, Richard DeMong, Robert
Ed Ayers called the meeting to order at 3:30 p.m., in the
President's Conference Room at Madison Hall.
There was a discussion regard delegating someone from the
Executive Council to serve on the Coordinating Council of
University-wide Groups. The Coordinating Council will be a
clearinghouse organization concerned with the culture and climate of
the educational/workplace environment at the University. The
Council will consist of representatives of all University-wide
committees and organizations, and also several ex officio members.
It was decided that the current Chair of the Faculty Senate should
serve on this Council. It was noted that the Executive Council will
want to review and approve the final draft of the charter before
committing to the Council.
Richard DeMong, Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, reported
on the recent meeting with Delegate Mitch Van Yahres. Also attending
the meeting were Ed Ayers and Louis Bloomfield, Chair of the Research
and Scholarship Committee. Mr. DeMong reported that Mr. Van Yahres
feels that the University's outreach programs could be improved. Mr.
DeMong also reported that there possibly will be another meeting with
Mr. Van Yahres in March. The Executive Council members would like to
plan an event in the spring that would include Delegate Mitch Van
Yahres, Delegate Paul Harris, and Senator Emily Couric.
Rebecca Kneedler, Chair of the President's Commission on Public
Service and Outreach, reported that she is beginning to form the
membership of the Commission, and asked for suggestions of people to
serve, with membership coming primarily from the faculty.
Suggestions were made, and Ms. Kneedler thanked the group for their
The Council discussed the upcoming, November 14th Faculty Senate
of Virginia meeting, and who will be attending to represent the
University of Virginia's Faculty Senate.
Also discussed was a meeting on November 30th, which will involve
the Council of Presidents of Faculty Senates and SCHEV. It is
hopeful that either David Gies or Rebecca Kneedler will be able to
attend the meeting on the Senate's behalf.
Ed Ayers discussed a proposal for faculty/student interaction.
The proposal would involve having a member of the Executive Council
lead a discussion on technology (experiences, expectations &
hopes) with residence halls. There are nine halls that have
expressed an interest in this, and individual members of the
Executive Council will contact a specified GA to schedule a time for
a session, which he/she will lead. The GA will be responsible for
finding and reserving a room and advertising. The sessions will
begin at 7:00 p.m., and will last for one hour.
Mr. Ayers will send the final reminder for the due date for the
reports on the technology conversations that have occurred in schools
and departments. The reminder will be sent on Monday, November 9th,
and the due date for submitting reports is Friday, November 13th.
The Executive Council discussed ways in which to coordinate
student-led efforts at student/faculty interaction. One such student
effort is S.H.A.R.E. It was noted that Senators might participate in
faculty/student interaction in a community-oriented activity. A list
could be created, detailing these student activities, and Senators
could commit to something on the list. It was suggested that H.
Samuel Miller, Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs,
may be of help in compiling a list of activities and contacts. This
initiative will be given to the Academic Affairs Committee, and it
will be coordinated with the Executive Council.
Mr. DeMong reported on the ongoing work of the Academic Affairs
Committee and faculty involvement in Honor Code issues. The Academic
Affairs Committee has defined six questions they would like addressed
in the faculty survey, which is being distributed by the Honor
Committee. These questions are: 1) Do you prefer an honor system
with a single-sanction or a system with multiple sanctions for
different levels of cheating? 2) Should the faculty (including TAs)
be able to bring Honor charges directly? 3) Should the faculty
promote academic integrity by discussing what is meant by the concept
of academic integrity in each class? 4) Do you take violations of
academic integrity (cheating and plagiarism) into account when
grading? 5) Should the faculty as a whole develop a general
statement concerning what is meant by the concept of academic
integrity? 6) Should it be an obligation of the faculty (rather
than an option) to bring charges when cheating is suspected?
Tom Noble will attend the Academic Affairs Committee meeting on
Monday, November 9th to discuss and answer questions regarding the
proposed new adult degree program, which will be offered through the
Division of Continuing Education. The program will be called a
Bachelor of Liberal Studies. The Academic Affairs Committee will
review the proposal, and it will then go to the Executive Council for
review, and finally, it will go to the full Senate on December 10th.
Mr. Ayers will speak to the Boards of Visitors of boards from
across the state on Saturday, November 7. The topic will be
promotion and tenure.
There will be an information session/luncheon on Monday, December
14th, with H.H. Sheikha Mouza. This luncheon will include members of
the Executive Council and faculty working on the Advisory Committee
(approximately twenty people will be involved).
The meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Submitted by Marva A. Barnett, Secretary of the Faculty Senate