Research and Scholarship Committee
December 19, 2005 – 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Harrison Library, Scott Conference Room
Present: Susan Kirk, Richard Steeves, Robert Davis, Jon Mikalson, Steve Wilson, Elizabeth Powell, Houston Wood
Susan Kirk, Chair of the Research and Scholarship Committee, called the meeting to order.
Agenda: Distribution of the David Harrison Undergraduate Research proposals and a review of the rating system and criteria.
- The student stipend has been increased to up-to $4,000 per student, and an additional $1,000 to the student’s faculty advisor.
- This year $160,000 in funding is available. The Office of the President provided $150,000 from the David Harrison trust, and the Office of the Provost provided an additional $10,000. This money will fund 41 or 42 proposals.
- Eighteen readers will be needed, with approximately 20 proposals per reader.
- Each reader will rank the top 1/3 of their proposals. Ratings should be returned to Nicole Hurd by no later than January 18.
- The top third of the proposals will be discussed at the next Committee meeting, to be on either January 20 or January 24.
- Award recipients will be announced within the first two weeks of February 2006.
The meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.