Entering Customer Records
When extending credit to a customer, it is vital that the appropriate information is obtained prior to the sale. This same principle applies to providing the customer information to the Accounts Receivable (AR) team when creating a customer record in the Integrated System.
The following information should be requested from a prospective customer at the time the debt is incurred and also entered into the customer record for collection purposes:
If the customer is an individual:
- Social Security Number (SSN), though this can not be required except as provided by law;
- Full name;
- Home address;
- Telephone numbers for home and place of employment;
- Fax number, if available;
- Email address; and
- Alternate contact, if available.
If the customer is a university, corporation or sole proprietorship:
- The appropriate identification number:
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN); or
- Social Security Number (SSN) for sole proprietorships.
- Full name of the company;
- Full name of the billing contact;
- Alternate contact, if available;
- Office address;
- Telephone number;
- Fax number; and
- Email address.
Questions about the University of Virginia's Accounts Receivable Department? Contact us at: UVA-AR@virginia.edu.