Frequently Asked Questions: Billing Departments
- How quickly do I need to respond to a Disputed Charge?
- The suggested timeframe for response is no longer than 2 weeks from the receipt of the dispute. If justification is available for needing additional time, the Fair Credit Billing Act allows up to 90 days.
- If one of my invoices is disputed and I don’t respond in a reasonable amount of time, will the invoice really be reversed?
- Yes. Customer service and compliance with Federal regulations should have priority in our receivables processing.
- Can the Accounts Receivable department assist in contacting the customer for payment of an invoice?
- Definitely! Please just make sure to contact us to let us know. Having multiple individuals call the same customer for payment is confusing for the customer and it creates duplicate effort. If a charge becomes 45 days past due, all collection efforts should be made directly by Accounts Receivable.
- How can I receive access to the Accounts Receivable (AR) Module of the Integrated System?
- This access comes from the Integrated System, not the AR department. Please visit the Integrated System website to determine the current procedure.
- I don’t want my accounts written-off. What can I do to help keep this from happening on my older invoices?
- The best suggestion available is to review the Accounts Receivable (AR) Discoverer report, AFS.AR_Customer Activity, for your area regularly. If you notice that an invoice has not been paid and would like to contact the customer yourself or if you have updated information available for the customer, please contact Us to let us know.
- I am setting up a conference and would like to offer credit card payments for the registration fee. Can Accounts Receivable (AR) help with processing those payments?
- AR can help process payments for conferences with less than 25 credit card transactions if the conference does not occur more than once per year. If your conference meets these criteria, please contact us to set this up.
For additional information about the University of Virginia's Accounts Receivable Department, please contact us at: , or call 434-924-7180, FAX 434-924-1034.