Billing Department Responsibilities
Utilizing the Accounts Receivable (AR) module of the Integrated System for collecting on debts due from the sale of goods and/or services means that AR is assisting in the collection of payments owed to a different area. The area, or Billing Department that AR is collecting on behalf of, must be held responsible for meeting guidelines related to the debt.
Billing Departments are responsible for the following:
- Requesting all applicable customer information, see Entering Customer Records;
- Billing accounts promptly after providing the goods and/or services to the customer;
- Maintaining all backup documentation for each invoice until that invoice has been paid, as well as the duration provided in the Records Retention policy;
- Notifying all customers of potential late fees and additional collection costs for any unpaid amounts at the time of sale;
- Following the procedures for Disputed Charges;
- Responding timely to billing inquiries by either customers or Accounts Receivable personnel;
- Discontinuing additional sales of goods and services to customers who have delinquent accounts;
- Providing accurate account information to Accounts Receivable for transferring credit card processing fees, and updating that information as needed; and
- Following all appropriate State, Federal, and University procedures and guidelines.
For additional information on the benefits of being a Billing Department, please review the Services and Benefits section of our website.
Questions about the University of Virginia's Accounts Receivable Department? Contact us at: UVA-AR@virginia.edu.