FISCAL ADMINISTRATORS MEETING AGENDA
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2018, 10:00 AM
SOUTH MEETING ROOM, NEWCOMB HALL
General Comments – Eric Denby
UFirst Update – Julie Bird
Research Administration Curriculum Design Team – Erika Priddy
· Volunteers to “Pilot” Training Program - Thank you to all who indicated interest in helping pilot the Intro to Research Administration Course! You will receive an email with more detail soon.”
Finance Outreach & Compliance - Kelly Hochstetler
· Changes to FIN-013 Reimbursement of Moving and Relocation Expenses - (http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/FIN-013) and the template Moving Agreement (http://www.hr.virginia.edu/uploads/documents/forms/moving-agreement.pdf) have been updated. The changes were necessitated by the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 and became effective 1/1/18. Changes to the associated procedures are under development and will be released in the coming weeks. For more information and resources, visit University Human Resources’ Moving and Relocation website (http://www.hr.virginia.edu/other-hr-services/moving-and-relocation/).
· New Monthly Grants Accounting (GA) Reconciliation Procedure (http://training.foc.virginia.edu/GAReconProcedure.pdf) have been approved. This procedure updates and replaces both Procedure 1-4: Monthly Review of GM Project or Award Activity and Procedure 1-4A Monthly Review and Certification of Sponsored Program Project or Award Expenditures. Links to related policies and the current versions of GA and GL reconciliation procedures are available on Finance Outreach and Compliance’s Reconciliation Procedures webpage (http://foc.virginia.edu/recon).
UBI Update – Linda Leshowitz
· Rolling out SIS modules/sunsetting SIS in Discoverer.
· New GL Cash Balance All Years & BBA Wise modules (13.0).
· More new modules forthcoming (e.g., AR, Fixed Assets, POs)
· Continue to release enhancements to Finance modules, such as:
· New Tabs in Installment Modifications & LD – Pay, Adj & Suspense (13.0).
· Check the Release Notes for updates on enhancements, fixes & new modules.
· UBI Community > About UBI > Explore Release Notes (or select Content or UBI Release One Stop)
· Check Upcoming UBI Trainings on the UBI Community for training classes and open Office Hours sessions.
· RSVP Office Hours on the Community (optional, but appreciated)
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services – John McHugh
· Project extended into March, may move back in around March 15
· How are we doing answering questions/responsiveness? Let us know. Please use skype if you prefer.
· R&D RFP issued
· Will include link in the minutes http://conta.cc/2FOdAkh
· Encourage you to send link to vendors you’re considering for large purchase
· Reached out to ETF coordinators to encourage suppliers to respond
· Spent $11.5 mil FY to date on contracts
· 36% of R&D spend is on contract
· Will avoided 130 sole sources per year
· Decreasing administrative burden on labs
· Vantage Point Logistics (VPL)
· Integrated logistics provider
· Saved over $350K since September 2015
· Cell signaling saving shows average or $5.22 per shipment for a total of $4100 in 2017
· Additionally, VCU and VT have joined the program
· Additional volume reduces our fees by 10%
· Increased competition limit to $10k
· Partnered with OSP to make sure we are in sync with federal guidelines
· Estimate 800 will auto-create
· Reduces cycle time by 2.8 days
· Includes receiving limit increase
· 2500 fewer system receipts
· For POs created after January 7
· Capital limit didn’t change
· Working with HR to make e-sharp changes to increase shopper limits
· Research UVa Reports
· Partnered with OSP to create reports that
· Identify large grants and contracts
· That need SWaM subcontracting plan
· May need large purchases of equipment and services
· Goal is move purchasing and SWaM reporting activity upstream
· And remove barriers to completing the project on time
· Tax changes for employee moves
· Working with Ufirst, HR and payroll
· Timing is good – we’re currently renegotiating contracts
· Take back - Document who in your transactions
· TSM Project
· Working towards completion this spring
· Vendors will manage their own registration and updates through a portal
· Have started finally closing PO’s – to assist with migration of vendor data
· Added benefits – PO Closing Savings
1) Save the date! The Second Annual Travel and Expense Expo will take place on Tuesday, March 27 from 10 am – 2 pm in the Newcomb Hall Ballroom. An email invitation will go out soon; make sure to RSVP to make your check-in experience quick and easy and to get an additional entry in our door prize giveaway (even if you can’t attend)!
2) The Procurement & Supplier Diversity Services five year strategic plan, PSDS 2022, is geared towards improving our clients’ experiences with purchasing, accounts payable, travel, and expense. See current progress report PSDS 2020 Progress Report
3) One project from the strategic plan is a survey of faculty to help us develop and prioritize our faculty-focused projects. It was sent to a random sample of faculty, but if you have any faculty that might be interested in taking it, it’s at http://bit.ly/2018FacultySurvey.
a. A more detailed staff survey is in development that will help us fill in the gaps. Stay tuned!
Following are the upcoming courses, workshops, labs, and Brown Bag Sessions for February-March, 2018.
We hope you will take advantage of these professional development opportunities for finance professionals. Links to enroll via Employee Self-Service are available from the Events section on the Finance Outreach and Compliance website at http://foc.virginia.edu/.
What is UVA’s mission? What is the Code of Ethics and why is it important? What is the organizational structure of UVA and where do you fit in? What is a PTAEO? What are the sources of revenue at UVA and how are funds processed? What do you need to know about internal controls, and what are some best practices to follow? In this class you will get answers to these questions and more, as well as have an opportunity to interact and network with other administrative professionals. This class is a required course for access to the finance applications in the Integrated System, but is also open to anyone who wants to learn about UVA’s financial operations.
· March 29, 1:30-4:30
All departments spend money, whether it is for office supplies, equipment, or personnel. It is important to reconcile these purchases each month to maintain strong internal control standards. This course is designed to help UVA staff and faculty who prepare, review and approve expenditure reconciliations navigate these processes in the Recon@UVA system. We will discuss how to accurately complete monthly expenditure reconciliations for transactions that occur in the Integrated System’s Grants Management (GM) module in compliance with UVA policy and procedures.
**Mark your calendars! The UVAForward 2018 conference will be held on Thursday, May 24. More details will be coming soon!**
As always, if you have any questions, suggestions, or need to discuss training needs, please contact us at email@example.com.
Feel free to share this information to other colleagues, and managers, please forward to your staff. Looking forward to seeing you soon!
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 21, 2018, at 10:00am in the South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall.