Fiscal Administrators Meeting
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall
Pre-session – Presented by Procurement & Supplier Diversity
“What do we teach our vendors?”
Another session will be done before the Fiscal Administrators meeting on March 20th.
Opening Comments – Eric Denby
· Eric reminded the group about Pat Hogan’s Paying Forward initiative. Prizes include 1 gift card every week, selected at random and an iPad or e-reader for winning proposals. Don’t pass up, submit your ideas!
UVA Health Plan Ombudsman – Joanne Hayden
· Overview/Role of the UVA Health Plan Ombudsman – see power point presentation
University Human Resources – Anne Broccoli
· Open enrollment – there was small shift, 1/6% switched from high premium to low health insurance. Currently 76% of employees are on the high premium plan and 24% are on the low premium plan.
· Required Dependent Verification on the UVA Health Plan
A recent study by Aon Hewitt (a well-respected consulting firm) found the UVA Health Plan, including our medical, dental, and vision, ranks either first or second compared to other universities in Aon Hewitt's extensive database. One of the ways that the UVA Health Plan can continue to offer an excellent benefits package at much lower costs than the national average is by ensuring that only eligible dependents are covered under the plan. Most employer health care plans cover between 4% and 7% ineligible dependents--those who should not be covered. By covering only eligible dependents, U.Va. can contain overall health plan costs.
We are therefore undertaking a review to verify that all dependents on the health plan meet the eligibility requirements. This review will be managed by a third party vendor, Xerox HR Solutions. In order to protect your confidentiality, you will be contacted next by Xerox. The materials from Xerox will clearly lay out all the ways you can verify your dependents and the timeline for doing so. Documentation needs to be provided for every covered dependent to remain on the plan. Everyone has until April 16 to provide the verification.
Please read the packet carefully when it arrives and provide your required documentation. If you have any questions, please contact the HR Service Center at 982.0123 or AskHR@virginia.edu.
University Human Resources – Darrell Kozuch
· Tax Changes - As of Jan. 1, 2013, changes to the Social Security (FICA) tax will result in a greater tax withholding, resulting in a 2% reduction of your gross pay. In other words, for every $1,000 of gross pay on your paychecks, your take-home pay will decrease by $20.
· Fringe Benefit Rates have been approved for 2013. See link:
University Bookstore – Pat Perkins/Tracy Steinmuller
· New ink cartridge refilling machine, now includes Epson. See link for more information http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/inkjetrefill.asp?
· Cavalier Computers is now a Verizon wireless agent for cell phone and Ipad. We have latest phones and our rates are comparable. Payroll deduction may be used when the security plan is purchased, not just for the hardware.
· Introduced Tracy Steinmuller, brand new department sales contact, she can help with materials that departments may need. She has started reaching out to departments. Her contact information is email@example.com and
Financial Administration – Lynne Schwar
· Recon@ - The user roles for Recon@UVa (including Preparer, Examiner/Overseer, Approver, and Fiscal Officer) will be migrated to the Integrated System (IS) in April 2013. It was always the intention that the roles would be housed in the system of record so we are happy to announce that this is going to happen! Please note that any changes to Principle Investigator must still go through the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).
There will be a new responsibility in the IS for updating roles called UVA GM Role Manager. This responsibility can be requested through ESHARP once available. There will also be online (UPK) training and in-person workshops available.
· Follwing is the link to our blog to get all news related to this and other topics of Recon@: http://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/recon/.
Information Technology Services – Shy Hicks
· GREAT NEWS FOR PO SHOPPERS AND PO REQUESTERS
We are pleased to report to everyone that we will no longer disable PO Shopper and PO Requester responsibilities. We are now able to allow these users to create requisitions using the following day (in this case, March 1st) after the purchasing module is closed. This will be effective on Thursday, February 28th.
· Unfortunately, because PO Purchasers, AP Invoice Processors, and AP Fellows Stipend Processors can also create payment vouchers, those responsibilities will remain disabled. When we figure out a way to allow them to also be in the system during month-end closing, we will be able to re-enable those responsibilities, too.
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services
· Taking steps to end contract with PanAm, details need to be worked out. Existing reservations should be ok, can still call them, but be prepared for less than helpful response. Departments should print out reservations that are currently in system and work with hotels and airlines directly. We are asking PanAm to destroy all University information by April 30th.
Going forward, departments are free to use any previous travel agencies, we have no contracts with them. Just like the old way, use P-card for everything but hotel. The 1st night hotel deposit approval form is back up on our website.
Right now, we are going to step back and review. Look at the process as well as expense management. Email has gone out with this information.
Kevin Crabtree is still the contact for issues.
· Electronic invoices – 40 catalog vendors using now, looking for 7 or 8 more to start soon
· As a result of a legal settlement to resolve claims brought by a group of U.S. merchants, merchants in the U.S. and U.S. territories may add a surcharge to certain credit card transactions, starting January 27, 2013. Merchants who choose to surcharge must follow consumer disclosure and other requirements agreed to as part of the settlement. Please notify the Purchasing Card Administrators, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you discover a merchant has added a surcharge to your transaction.
The next meeting is Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 10:00 am in the South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall.