Fiscal Administrators Meeting
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall
Opening Comments – Eric Denby
Records Management – Lori Kressin
· Announced their first training session that was held September 20. Please see website http://www.virginia.edu/recordsmanagement/ for training schedule.
University Human Resources
· The goal of the Super Temps program is to help you, our partners, fulfill departmental staffing needs while providing excellent opportunities to 12 extremely talented, capable and skilled individuals. This one-of-a-kind program provides Super Temps with Integrated System Human Resources, Finance, and Student Information System training, as well as equipping them with an I-key and ID. Combining their already outstanding talents with knowledge of the Integrated System, the Super Temps immediately contribute to departments by filling challenging roles.
Our fifth cohort of Super Temps will begin training on September 16 through September 27. We invite you to view the personal introduction videos, biographies and "Skills at a Glance" for each Super Temp on the Temporary Search Group website at Super Temps-Cohort V.
This cohort of Super Temps will be ready to begin work on September 30. Much like last year, you will want to reserve a Super Temp early! Contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 434.924.3330 to reserve your Super Temp today!
· Hoos Well
Link to website http://www.hr.virginia.edu/other-hr-services/hooswell/
Office of the VP for Management and Budget – Chip German
· Chip gave an update on the New Internal Financial Model. Please check the website, the timeline is there. If you would like Chip to come talk to groups and answer questions, just let him know, he will be glad to do it. His email is email@example.com.
Intermediate Business Professional Development Graduation – Melody Bianchetto
· The Business Professional Development Program (fondly “BPDP”) was developed to provide with finance-related administrative training necessary to maintain the University’s level of administrative professionalism in serving U.Va. faculty, staff, and students.
· The program is a cooperative effort representing the Budget Office, Human Resources, Internal Audit, the Office of the Comptroller (previously Financial Administration), the Office of Sponsored Programs, and Procurement Services. The team of trainers in the Office of the Comptroller’s Training and Outreach group has developed and delivered courses and workshops in this program for the past 6 years. More than 100 University administrators have graduated from the program in this time.
· 41 graduates completed the required basic courses (Introduction to University Business Administration and Internal Controls). These individuals’ commitment to the University’s Code of Ethics and the financial stewardship role that they play is essential at a time of ever-increasing public concern over educational costs.
· Additionally, these outstanding people have committed more than 12 hours of voluntary additional training in the subjects of Basic Fund Accounting, Cash Handling, Account Reconciliations, and Award & Cash Management to increase their mastery of key financial activities.
University Human Resources – Patty Marbury
· System Training Changes (pdf).
Workshop information can be found on the individual toolkit pages. In other words, users would access the Purchasing and Accounts Payable toolkit for information (dates, etc.) for the Purchasing and Accounts Payable workshop.
Below is the link to the main HR/FIN toolkit pages.
Office of University Comptroller – Lynne Schwar
Phase IA system enhancements and additional reports are scheduled for implementation on September 23rd. Many of these changes were suggested by our users and are designed to make the system more user-friendly. Note: Changes were successfully implemented on September 23rd!
§ Additional search options (by role) on the “Summary” page
§ Project status and end date included in descriptive details
§ Expenditure item date displayed for Planned Expenses
§ Ability to approve reconciliations from the “Details” page
§ One click to mark Planned Expenses as reviewed
§ “Welcome” page will display both Percent Complete and Percent Complete on Time
§ Additional role info on the Oversight Report and ability to drill to project list
§ Completion Statistics report – new
§ Delinquent Users report – new
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services
· Announcement from Sue Clements in ITS Enterprise Applications
Attention Users of the Invoice, Payment Voucher and Invoice Inquiry forms:
Starting with September month end close, Enterprise Applications will be using a new solution to prevent the entry of invoices and payment vouchers that can cause issues in accounting when entered while month-end closing is underway. This means we will not have to disable responsibilities, but only limit access to these specific activities.
Beginning this month, we will be disabling the invoice and payment voucher FORMS instead of the responsibilities. If you attempt to access the invoice or payment voucher form during month-end closing, you will receive a message stating that month-end close is underway. The invoice and payment voucher forms will be re-activated as soon as month-end closing is complete.
What this means:
o For users of the UVA AP/PO Viewer, UVA PO Buyer Manager and UVA PO Buyer responsibilities: You will not be able to access the invoice/payment voucher form in inquire mode as you have during prior month-end close processing. During month-end close, you will need to rely on the Invoice Overview form.
o For users of the UVA AP Invoice Processor, UVA AP Fellows Stipend Processor and UVA PO Purchaser responsibilities: You will find that your responsibilities remain active during month-end close, but the invoice/payment voucher forms are disabled. You will need to rely on the Invoice Overview form to inquire on invoice information during month-end close.
· RFP for Catering Concierge - down to 3 firms, the next step will be to bring them in to talk to the bigger caterers in front of us. This new contract will change business with Caterers.
· RFP for Office Supplies – we currently have 2, through the State, not ours. We had 10 firms at the Preproposal Conference. Our goal is to pick one supplier and cut costs. Could change business if we go to one. Currently we spend $3.8 million a year in office supplies, $1 million in paper and $500,000 in toner cartridges. Hope to maybe have by February.
· Added Ferguson Enterprises as a catalog vendor to the Marketplace. This vendor is used mostly by Facilities Management. Includes a quote feature.
· Accounts Payable is saying that “receiving” is going much better, thank you. Please remember to send documentation for Travel.
· Cyndy Williams from Continuing Education retired on Friday, September 20th. Thank you for all of your years of service.
The next meeting is Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 10:00 am in the South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall.