Fiscal Administrators Meeting
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall
Opening Comments – Eric Denby
Office of Development and Public Affairs – Debbie Emmart
· Our office will be closed on December 24, 25 and 26, open 27 & 28 and 31. Last day accepting credit card gifts is December 31st. Do not email any credit card information, either call or fax.
· January 7 at 3:00 pm is the last day to drop off checks to our office
· Please include all envelopes and pertinent information. Post mark dates are very important for December gifts.
· Please contact Mark Ruffa (4-6027), Debbie Emmart (4-1013) or Help Desk (3-0631) if you have any questions during the Holidays.
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services
· Terry Butler wants to remind everyone that the mileage rate will change January 1, 2013 to 56.5 cents a mile.
· PanAm – turned off P-Card for hotels, email with details sent on November 19. Ran into challenges, too much trouble for travelers checking in with no p-card. Hotels expect travelers to have credit card in hand. PanAm is working on issue. You may still use the on-line tool for airfare, etc.
· Please check invoice reports, make sure event has occurred or goods have been received before allowing PSDS to pay vendor. If the goods or services haven’t been supplied as agreed to alert us to not pay and put the invoice on hold.
· The VP for Management office conducted a survey and discovered there is a lot of misinformation/confusion in departments. Departments are asking for more autonomy. What they are not aware of, is that 96% of all transactions are handled at the department level which is 40% of dollars spent.
· Focus groups have been formed to look at implementing the survey results.
University Human Resources – Darrell Kozuch
· “Fiscal Cliff” and potential Payroll Impact –
In 2011 your payroll tax (FICA) was temporarily reduced by 2%, which meant you got a bottom line 2%
boost in take home pay. The bad news is that reduction is due to expire at the end of this year and tax law experts
think that this particular item isn’t likely to be extended. There are OTHER aspects of taxes in the so-called
“fiscal cliff” that aren’t as clear on where they will go, but this one looks pretty certain.
For bi-weekly paid staff, please note that 1/4/13 will be a limited deduction paycheck (http://www.hr.virginia.edu/calendars/2013-payroll-calendar/) so that will not give you a good read of what your typical paycheck will be in 2013. To understand what does/doesn’t get taken out of a “limited deduction” paycheck check out this article about the last one in August 2012:
§ Health Plan changes will begin January 1, Human Resources will have an emergency on call person on duty. Call the help desk at 982-0123 in case of an emergency.
The next meeting is Wednesday, January 16, 2012 at 10:00 am in the South Meeting Room, Newcomb Hall.