Issued: July 17, 1989
Owner: University Bursar
UNCLAIMED PAYROLL CHECKS
This policy describes the general guidelines for handling unclaimed payroll checks.
2.0 Policy [Top]
Unclaimed paychecks must be handled in strict compliance with this Policy and Procedure 4-32.
Unclaimed checks are handled as follows:
- They are retained in the department in a locked storage facility until the third Tuesday following payday.
- On that date, unclaimed checks are returned to the Bursar's Office through the Regional Payroll Distributor.
- The Bursar's Office sends unclaimed check notices to employees and holds the checks for two weeks.
- After two weeks, unclaimed checks are deposited into a safekeeping account.
- After deposit, a new check will be issued only on receipt of a written request to the Payroll Department from the employee.
Procedure 4-32, "Processing Unclaimed Payroll Checks."
3.0 Definitions [Top]
4.0 References [Top]
5.0 Approvals and Revisions [Top]