Issued: October 13, 1994
Owner: Associate Vice President for Business Operations
Latest Revision: October 22, 2003
SALE OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
This policy has been migrated to the standardized format.
The following guidelines have been set forth to govern sales and service of alcoholic beverages on Grounds of the University of Virginia.
2.0 Policy [Top]
As established by The Board of Visitors, all SALES of alcoholic beverages on Grounds must be conducted by:
- The University Programs Council, or
- The Dining Services Division.
Both the University Programs Council and the Dining Services Division are authorized to also SERVE alcoholic beverages on Grounds. Commercial caterers, however, may not SELL alcoholic beverages on Grounds, but may SERVE them in all locations except:
- The Rotunda,
- Newcomb Hall/Peabody Hall,
- President's Box,
- All Dining Services Locations.
Sales of alcoholic beverages conducted by Dining Services will fall into one of two categories:
- Sales conducted as a part of a unit's normal operation, i.e., the backroom of the Pavilion,
- Sales/Service conducted by the UVA Catering Service.
Sales of alcoholic beverages conducted by the University Programs Council fall into one of three categories:
- Sales conducted as a part of normal University Programs Council programming for which a banquet license has been secured,
- Licensed educational programming for which fees pay for alcoholic beverages as a part of the cost of the course, i.e., wine tasting and bartending,
- Licensed events co-sponsored with another University organization, i.e., Resident Staff, Fourth-Year Class, etc., at which alcohol will be sold.
ALL REQUESTS FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE SERVICE MUST BE APPROVED EITHER BY THE OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF STUDENTS OR BY DINING SERVICES, AS APPROPRIATE.
The Dining Services Division is licensed to sell wine and beer. SERVICE of distilled spirits by UVA Catering Service is permitted without issuance of a temporary ABC license. Cash SALES of distilled spirits are possible only after receipt of an appropriate temporary ABC license. All proceeds from such sales accrue exclusively to the Dining Services Division.
B.Y.O.B. functions are NOT allowed in Newcomb Hall, the Rotunda or any Dining Services facility. All alcoholic beverages to be served by UVA Catering Service must be assembled by the host and delivered to a designated Dining Services representative.
All proceeds from SALES of alcoholic beverages must accrue to either the University Programs Council or the Dining Services Division.
Sale of alcoholic beverages is deemed inappropriate as a means to raise funds for charitable or other purposes.
All requests for alcoholic beverage service must be cleared through and/or sponsored by a recognized student group, or a University department or agency.
Sales or service of alcoholic beverages in any Dining Services unit must be conducted by Dining Services personnel.
3.0 Definitions [Top]
4.0 References [Top]
5.0 Approvals and Revisions [Top]
Previous version in effect from 10/13/94 to 10/21/03 available in policy archive.