Procedure: 4-60

Effective: April 19, 2002

Owner: Student Financial Services

Latest Revision:

Request Federal Work-Study Student Employees

Procedure Steps

Scope | System References | Policy | Responsibility | Distribution | Ownership

Scope

This procedure describes the process of requesting Federal Work-Study Student Employees.

This procedure does not cover the process by which students apply for Work-Study placements.

System References [Top]

See Employer Handbook Federal-Work Study Program
See MonsterTrak Access Form

Policy [Top]

The Federal Work-Colleges Program, also known as Federal Work-Study (FWS), is a federal program established by the higher Education of 1965, as amended in 1992. Rules and regulations governing the program are established by the U.S. Department of Education. FWS encourages and expands part-time employment opportunities to students with demonstrated financial need. Under FWS, student wages are partially funded by annual federal appropriations. At the University of Virginia, student wages are subsidized at 70% from federal funds, and the remaining 30% of wages are paid by the student's hiring department or approved off-grounds employer.

Responsibility [Top]

Student Financial Services, as administrator of the FWS Program, determines FWS eligibility and awards based on the student's financial need.

All University departments, schools, and offices, academic, and administrative, are eligible to hire students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study funds.

Federal, state, or local public agencies or private non-profit (tax-exempt) organizations that operate in the public interest at large are eligible to employ FWS student workers. However, the organization must be non-political and non-religious and serve the general public at large and cannot primarily benefit a specific group or population.

See Employer Handbook Federal Work-Study Program.

Distribution [Top]

All departments or outside agencies hiring Federal Work-Study students.

Ownership [Top]

The Director of Student Financial Services is responsible for ensuring that this procedure is necessary, reflects actual practice, and supports University policy.

Procedure Steps [Top]

See Employer Handbook Federal Work-Study Program.


Maintained by University Comptroller
2001 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.