This procedure covers the specific steps that must be taken by departments
to submit a Payment Voucher to Procurement Services.
This document includes instructions for preparing Payment Vouchers
in general as well as information on the following specific topics:
- Demand Payments
- High Risk Expenditures
- Reimbursement for Travel Expenses
- Reimbursing Departments through Vendor Paid Travel
- Reimbursement for Meal Expenses
- Petty Cash Vouchers and Reimbursements
- Honoraria Payments
- Paying for Contractual Teaching Services and Non-Teaching Academic
- Payment in Foreign Currency
- Payment to Foreign National Individuals
System References [Top]
The forms that need to be used when preparing particular types
of Payment Vouchers are the following:
- The Travel Workbook
- Business Meal Certification for Non-Overnight Travel
- Employee/Independent Contractor Classification Checklist for Demand
- Approving Contractual Teaching Services/Non-Teaching Academic Consulting
- Approval for Honoraria
- Petty Cash Fund Reimbursement Voucher
All required forms must be filled out according to the instructions
provided on the most recent copy of the form itself. The most recent
version of these forms may be obtained from the University
Forms Directory or from the Procurement
Services web site.
The Oracle Navigation instructions that correspond to this procedure
This procedure corresponds to, and should be read in conjunction with,
the following general policies:
In addition, specific aspects of this procedure correspond to, and
should be read in conjunction with, the following specific policies:
The departmental PO Purchaser is responsible for submitting
In Procurement Services, the Invoice Processor is responsible
for reviewing and approving Payment Vouchers.
Payment Vouchers are handled by Procurement Services. Please see the
web site for contact information and news about any recent changes in
policy and procedure affecting the processing of Payment Vouchers.
Procedure Steps [Top]
- Payment Vouchers for Demand Payments that are not classified
as High Risk can be processed entirely at the departmental level and
will not be pre-reviewed by Procurement Services.
- A separate Payment Voucher is required for each payee.
- Paper Documentation -- Departments must prepare and submit
Payment Vouchers and supporting documentation electronically in Oracle.
Complete original paper documentation, however, is still required
for all Payment Vouchers.
For travel and petty cash reimbursement, the original paper
documents with all appropriate signatures must be forwarded to
Procurement Services. In other cases, the paper documents must be
retained in departmental files for three years plus the current fiscal
Departments are responsible for getting the appropriate signatures
and maintaining a file in Voucher number order. These files must be
made available when requested by Procurement Services for internal
review or external audits.
- The voucher number must be included on all standard
forms or other paper attachments.
- Oracle Supplier List -- Departments must make sure the vendor
is in the Oracle Supplier List before submitting Payment Vouchers to
Procurement Services can only pay the exact amount entered on a Payment
Voucher, so freight charges, if any, must be included in the
total amount on a Payment Voucher.
Departments are responsible for determining whether a payee is an employee
or an independent contractor. The Employee/Independent Contractor
Classification Checklist for Demand Payments form may be used
to make this determination. This form must be signed by the Department
Departments are responsible for complying with all federal Immigration
and Naturalization Service (INS) regulations when preparing payments
to foreign vendors.
Questions about how to process payments to foreign vendors should
be referred to the University
Step-by-step instructions for preparing a Payment Voucher in Oracle
may be found on the ISDS web site in Oracle Navigation under
Preparing Specific Types of Payment Vouchers
- Demand Payments -- Payment Vouchers may be used to pay for
goods and services up to the limits specified on the Goods
and Services Procurement Guide.
- High Risk Expenditures -- A High Risk transaction is defined
as anything costing $5,000 or more as well as specific types of goods
and services in any amount.
- Travel Reimbursement -- The procedures for travel reimbursement
are on the Procurement
- Reimbursing Departments through Vendor Paid Travel -- In some
circumstances, Procurement Services may arrange for vendors or potential
vendors to reimburse the University for travel expenses incurred by
University employees to inspect or be trained on new equipment, to visit
a site where goods or services can best be evaluated, or for some other
purpose which is in the best interests of the University.
- Employees must notify the applicable Vice President in writing
at least one month in advance of such travel to ensure adequate
time for review. The employee must provide the name of the vendor,
the dates of the trip, and the estimated value of the trip. The
employee must also explain the reason for the trip and the benefit
of the trip to the University.
- If pre-approved by the Vice President, the University employee
may accept the trip. The traveler must seek reimbursement for travel
expenditures from Procurement Services, following the same procedure
outlined above under Travel Reimbursement. The traveler is
bound by the same conditions and spending limits prescribed for
regular travel on official University business as outlined in the
procedure for Travel Reimbursement and in Travel
Expenses -- Policy VI.G.1. Procurement Services will reimburse
the traveler and then seek reimbursement from the vendor. Travelers
may not seek reimbursement for travel expenses directly from the
- Reimbursement for Meal Expenses -- The procedures for business
meal payment and reimbursement are on the Business
Meals page of the Procurement Services website.
- Petty Cash Vouchers -- The procedures for replenishing a petty
cash fund are on the Petty
Cash Replenishment page of the Procurement Services website.
- Paying for Honoraria -- Departments must process honoraria
as demand payments and fill out the Approval for Honoraria
- This form requires the signature of the Department Chair or designee
to indicate approval for the payment. If the amount of an honorarium
exceeds $2,000, this form will also require the signature of the
Dean or Vice President. If the recipient of an honorarium is a foreign
national, he or she must sign this form to indicate what type of
visa he or she holds.
- Once completed, an electronic copy of the form should be saved
to disk or to personal computer. The saved document must then be
attached to the Payment Voucher in Oracle.
- A paper copy of this form with the appropriate signatures
must be kept on file in the department for three years plus the
current fiscal year.
- Foreign national recipients of honoraria should contact
- If reimbursement for travel expenses is sought, a separate Payment
Voucher must be filled out and submitted. Please see the procedure
for Travel Reimbursement.
- Authorizing Contractual Teaching Services and Non-Teaching Academic
Consulting -- Departments must fill out the Approving Contractual
Teaching Services/Non-Teaching Academic Consulting Services form.
Payment in Foreign Currency -- When a vendor requests payment
in foreign currency, departments should be aware of the additional cost
in processing a foreign payment. Therefore, departments should make
sure the vendor will not accept payment in U.S. dollars before submitting
the request for payment in foreign currency to Procurement Services.
- This form must be signed by the payee, Department Head, and the
Dean or Vice President.
- Once completed, the form should be saved to disk or to personal
computer. The saved document must then be attached to the Payment
Voucher in Oracle.
- A signed and dated original paper copy of this form must
be kept on file in the department for three years plus the current
Paying Foreign Nationals and Non-Resident Aliens -- Departments
are responsible for making sure all federal Immigration and Naturalization
Services (INS) regulations are followed when preparing payment to foreign
nationals or non-resident aliens.
- In most instances a wire transfer will be used to process
- When preparing the Payment Voucher in Oracle, the departmental
PO Purchaser should include an attachment indicating what
specific foreign currency to use for payment as well as any banking
information necessary to prepare a wire transfer of funds if that
payment option is requested.
- Procurement Services reviews and authorizes payments in foreign
currency. Procurement Services will notify the Treasurer, and the
Treasurer will prepare and send a wire transfer of funds.
- Note: The actual payment amount will depend on the exchange rate
at the time the payment is prepared.
- Questions about how to process payments to foreign nationals or
to non-resident aliens should be referred to the University