Financial aid for January Term is available for eligible undergraduate students currently enrolled at the University of Virginia. However, grant money for January Term is extremely limited and is need based. Most students who apply for January Term financial aid will need to use private loans in the student’s name or Federal Parent PLUS Loans.
Students enrolled in non-UVA courses during the winter break are not eligible to receive financial aid from the University of Virginia to pay for such courses.
How To Apply for January Term Financial Aid:
- Apply for a U.S. Department of Education personal identification number (PIN) if you don't already have one. Your PIN will allow you to electronically "sign" financial aid applications and federal loan promissory notes. Apply for a PIN online at pin.ed.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For the quickest and most accurate processing, students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online. The University of Virginia's school code for the FAFSA is 003745. All students must complete their FAFSA application by the priority filing date to be considered for grant assistance.
- Some students may be required to complete the University Financial Aid Application (or for first-year and transfer students, the CSS/Profile) . Please check your To Do List items in the Student Information System Student Center. If you have an item titled "UVA Financial Aid Application", go to the Finances section of the Student Center and click on the link "Apply for Financial Aid 2012-13". Complete this form so that we may process your financial aid.
- In order to be eligible for January term financial aid, you must be an undergraduate student, enroll in an on-Grounds January term course for 3 credit hours and be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours for the Spring 2013 term.
- Study Abroad students must apply online to the January Term program by the October 1, 2012, deadline. Students who are accepted to a January term study abroad program must "commit" to the program online by October 15, 2012.
- For students enrolling in an on-Grounds U.Va. January term course, enrollment begins November 15, 2012, for third-year and fourth-year students, and November 16, 2012, for all others.
Available Types of Aid
Federal student loan eligibility for January Term is limited. Undergraduate students may need to seek a Direct Parent PLUS loan (for parents of dependent students) or a private loan. Go here for private loan information. If you are using a private loan for the January Term, use January 3-13, 2013, as the loan period. If the lender's application will not allow this, please designate "Spring", and then notify Student Financial Services to inform us of this.
Students with high financial need (for example, those who receive a Federal Pell Grant during the academic year) may be eligible for January Term Study Abroad grant funding toward billable fees.
Students who are interested in financial aid for January Term - On Grounds should enroll in the courses during your designated registration period for spring enrollment. If you have applied for financial aid, Student Financial Services will determine your eligibility for any need-based grant assistance and will send you email notification when we have reviewed your eligibility. There is no need to contact Student Financial Services in advance of receiving this email.
Your award, once it is complete, will be found in your Student Center in SIS. Go to Student Center/View Financial Aid/2013. Under Terms, look for 2013 January. The Award Description will start with JTerm; i.e. Jterm On-Grounds. Initial awarding for January Term financial aid will consist of Jterm On-Grounds, JTerm Direct Subsidized Ln 1 or JTerm Direct Unsubsidized Ln 1. If you do not have any of these awards, then your only eligibility for JTerm financial aid will be a Parent PLUS loan (for undergraduate dependent students) or a private loan. For more information about applying for these loans, please go here. January Term financial aid can only be applied to JTerm charges.
For those taking January Term courses on Grounds, financial aid awards will be available beginning the week of November 17, 2012. Please check the Financial Aid section on your Student Center on the Student Information System (SIS). Please check the Financial Aid section on your Student Center on the Student Information System (SIS). If there is no financial aid listed on your billing statement, then in most cases your only financial aid availability will be a private loan or a Parent PLUS Loan. For more information on payment, please visit the January Term web page.
Students who indicated an interest in financial aid on their ISO January Term application will be considered for financial aid eligibility. Students will be notified of their financial aid award after October 3, 2012, and on a rolling basis thereafter. Notification of financial aid does not imply acceptance to the program. Students with high financial need may qualify for grant aid. Grant aid may cover only part or all of the billable fees; please consult the program's Budget Sheet online for details. Loans or the student's own personal resources can be used to cover the other costs of participation, such as personal expenses and meals.