As your chapter begins preparations for the final rounds of rush, it is important that your chapter incorporate additional training, education, and planning to prevent the transmission of the flu virus.
Recommendations for avoiding the flu include:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and warm water for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Using alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel or wipes when there is no water.
- Coughing and sneezing into your elbow, rather than hands.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Eating well, staying hydrated, resting, exercising and following good-health guidelines.
If individuals are experiencing flu-like symptoms (fever, headache, chills, body aches, fatigue, dry cough, sore throat, stuffy nose, occasionally nausea or diarrhea):
- Call the Student Health Center at (434) 982-3915 or a local care provider. Providing them information on all symptoms, including temperature, is extremely helpful for staff to ascertain if someone needs to come to the clinic or isolate.
- If advised by a healthcare provider to isolate, then individuals should not attend rush activities, class, work, or leave their living space unless absolutely necessary for at least 24 hours after any fever has subsided.
Chapter Specific Prevention Recommendations:
- Discuss the importance of education, prevention measures, and recovery tips with all chapter members prior to recruitment;
- Develop a plan and protocol for cleaning the chapter facility between rounds of recruitment. Enlist active members, alumni, and volunteers to clean high-touch surfaces (bathrooms, doorknobs, tables, countertops).
- Provide additional hand sanitizer in common areas; evaluate how often members are shaking hands with new members;
- Provide individual meals and individualized portions (versus communal meals and share portions) for chapter members and potential new members. If not possible, provide hand sanitizer near buffets.
- Elson Student Health Center
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: 2012-2013 Flu Season
- Inter/National Headquarters
Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we can be of any assistance to your chapter. Likewise, please continue to remain in good contact with our office and the Inter-Fraternity Council should your chapter experience an outbreak of the flu during recruitment or any other time during the year.
Best wishes for a healthy and successful formal recruitment!