As new leaders transition into their position and as we prepare for the arrival of spring weather, it’s important that you are aware of the regulations surrounding the use of bamboo in fraternity/sorority facilities. These guidelines were developed by the City of Charlottesville Fire Department/Fire Marshal.
• Cut bamboo is not approved to be used for indoor decoration or construction
• Cut bamboo must be kept 20 feet from building and exit ways
• Any structure over 200 square feet or with a roof or a platform constructed of bamboo must be approved by either Neighborhood Development Services (City of Charlottesville) or the County Building Official (depending on location)
• Cut bamboo must be removed promptly after the event has ended
• All leaves must be removed from the cut bamboo before it can be used as a decorative material
• Note that these guidelines also apply to facilities in the County.
If you have any questions about these guidelines please contact the Fire Marshal’s Office at 434-970-3325