University of Virginia General Faculty Council (GFC)
Minutes: April 10, 2001 12:30-2:00 PM, Room 389 Newcomb
Members Present: Mary Abouzeid, Jann Balmer, Frank Butros, Chuck Callaghan, Donal Day, Patricia Foley, James Freeman, Joe Gieck, Brad Holland, Carol Hunter, Bill Keene, Aaron Laushway, Maurice Lipper, Lotta Lofgren, Jane Penner, Jan Redick, Max Salinas, Betsy Tucker, Lynda White, Ellie Wilson
Members Absent: Rosie Dunn, Barbara Millar
The meeting was chaired by Patricia Foley
1. Welcome to new Council Members. Trish Foley introduced and welcomed the new General Faculty Council Members, who are: Jann Balmer, Medicine; Rosie Dunn, Administration; Lotta Lofgren, Arts and Sciences; and Lynda White, Libraries. (Rosie Dunn was introduced in name, but was absent from the meeting.)
2. Minutes of the March 2001 meeting were approved as written.
3. Committee Reports:
4. Election of Officers and Appointment of Chairs/Representatives to Committees: The following were elected or appointed:
Chair: Frank Butros
Secretary: Jan Redick
Elections Committee: Max Salinas; Ellie Wilson
By-Laws Committee: Joe Gieck; Chuck Callaghan
Policy Committee: Bill Keene, Chair; Frank Butros; Lotta Lofgren; Jane Penner; and Lynda White
CCUG Representative: Barbara Millar
Faculty Senate Academic Affairs Committee Representative: Aaron Laushway
Faculty Senate Research and Scholarship Committee Representative: Maurice Lipper
Benefits Committee Representative: Carol Hunter
5. Joe Gieck initiated a discussion with regard to a General Faculty member who was told that he was being terminated after nineteen years of full-time service to the University. General discussion followed as to whether this personís rights to "continued expectation of employment" are being violated according to the current policy affecting General Faculty. The consensus was that, indeed, it appears the individual is probably being terminated in a wrongful manner, and that he should consult with the University Ombudsman and/or the Provost.
6. The annual Spring Party to welcome incoming Council Members and thank those going off Council will be held from 5-7 PM on Tuesday, May 15 in the garden of Pavilion I. It was decided to invite Kathy Reed to the party in recognition of her efforts on behalf of General Faculty. (Kathy Reed will be leaving the University this year.) Council Members were reminded that President Casteen will be a guest speaker at the regular Council Meeting which will also take place on May 15 (see below). Ellie Wilson and Jan Redick are organizers for the Spring Party.
NEXT MEETING: May 15, 2001 12:15 PM Room 389, Newcomb Hall
Submitted by: Jan Redick