UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA

GENERAL FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

DECEMBER 8, 1993

Members:

John Alexander
Ann Loper
Pam Bouchard
Julia Martin
Beth Camden
Bernard Mayes
Mark Doherty
Richard McGuire
Wei Li Fang
Bill Randolph
Patricia Lampkin
Richard Sealock
* indicates members absent

The minutes of the November 11, 1993 meeting were approved.

REPORTS:

Response to SCHEV Report - Statement from Council has been sent to Inside UVA. The statement will also be mailed to the General Cabinet, Vice Presidents, Deans, and the President of the Faculty Senate with a cover letter from Julia Martin and Ann Loper.

Mail - John Alexander announced that mail may be sent to Council members by using the following address: uva-gfc@virginia.edu

Grievance Procedures - Julia Martin distributed a summary of the grievance procedures for tenure-track and academic general faculty and administrative General Faculty. The tenure-track and academic general faculty formal grievance process consists of an effort to resolve the dispute by discussion and agreement as an initial step; mediation at the next step and a formal hearing at the last step. The Faculty Senate has involvement in both the mediation and formal hearing. The administrative General Faculty formal grievance process consists of an effort to resolve the dispute by discussion and agreement as an initial step; investigation at the next step and a formal hearing at the last step. Julia identified the key difference in the two procedures is the elimination of a mediation step in the administrative General Faculty procedure which could involve the GFC. Julia also expressed concern that the document on the administrative General Faculty grievance procedure refers to the General Faculty as "employees" rather than faculty. Discussion followed regarding the need to change the procedure and the need for the GFC to be involved in the process. Decision was made to continue the discussion at the January meeting after members have had more time to review the summary. Bernard Mayes offered to diagram the two procedures to help in the discussion. Goal at the next meeting will be to determine whether this is a process that should be changed.

By-laws - Julia Martin distributed a revised draft of the by-laws:

VI. A MOTION by Bernard Mayes to eliminate: "in consultation with the University's Office of Planning, Assessment, and Studies." Second by Mark Doherty. Approved.

VI. B 1 MOTION by John Alexander to change the wording to read: "All those represented by the GFC shall be eligible to vote in elections for Council members (see Bylaws II. Mission)." Second by Pat Lampkin. Approved.

VI. D 1 MOTION by Bernard Mayes to add phrase to end of last sentence: "as necessary at the discretion of the committee chair." Second by Mark Doherty. Approved.

VI. E 4 MOTION by Pat Lampkin to eliminate statement here and address the issue of job changes in V. E. Add phrase to the end of the sentence: "in the administrative area they were elected to represent." Second by Bill Randolph. Approved.

VII. B 2 b MOTION by John Alexander to change wording of last sentence to read: "Minutes shall be publicly available." Second by Beth Camden. Approved.

II. MOTION by Bill Randolph to delete: "non tenure track" from the Mission statement. Second by Pat Lampkin. Approved.

II. MOTION by Julia Martin to add: "(hereafter the General Faculty)." Second by Richard Sealock. Approved.

Several corrections were noted. Members were asked to review the document for other corrections prior to the next meeting.

MOTION by John Alexander to accept the document with the above named changes as a working draft to be approved by the General Faculty at a later date. Second by Beth Camden. Approved.

Members will have the opportunity to make any final corrections at the January meeting.

Meetings - Ann Loper asked how discussion will be handled next month when meetings are open. Julia suggested that the agenda be made public so that members of the General Faculty will know what business will be discussed and can contact their representatives to discuss their viewpoint. Pat suggested time be identified on the agenda to hear comments or respond to questions from guests. John will create a mail group to use to make the agenda public. Pat will contact Inside UVA to notify them where members of the General Faculty may find the GFC meeting agenda and to notify them that the January meeting will be open.

Policies Governing Professional Research Staff - Richard Sealock requested the endorsement by the Council of his proposals to change policies governing the promotion of Research Scientists and the ability of professional research staff to be named as Principal Investigators or Co-Principal Investigators on research grants. A change in policy would have to be approved by the Provost. Beth suggested that the issue be evaluated by a subcommittee. Richard volunteered to chair the committee and Wei Li Fang volunteered to serve on the committees. Richard will identify other members from a representative group.

General Faculty Handbook - Beth Camden distributed a list of topics which would be covered in a General Faculty Handbook. Members were asked to review the list and be ready to discuss the topics at the next meeting.

Length of Appointments - Current members will serve 2 or 3 year terms. Anyone unable to serve a full term may resign.

NEW BUSINESS:

There was no new business.

Next meeting: January 12, 1994 1:00pm - 3:00pm Vice President's Conference Room, McKim Hall, Room 3001