University of Virginia General Faculty Council
Minutes: December 8, 1998 meeting

Members Present Members Absent Others in Attendance
Barry Anderson

Ron Berube

Donal Day

Tom Dowd

Elizabeth Fortune

Abby Gillette

Brad Holland

Carol Larson

Joyce Pastors

Jane Penner

Mary Smith

Dennis DeSilvey

Trish Foley

Martin Hoard

Wayne Smith

Danny Wilmer (resigned)

Robert DeVoursney

 Joyce Pastors chaired the meeting

  1. It was announced that Danny Wilmer has resigned his GFC seat representing Athletics. Wayne Smith, formerly an Administration representative to the GFC, is now working in Athletics and has agreed to vacate his Administration seat and take Danny Wilmer’s place as the Athletics representative. The now vacant Administration seat will be included on a ballot going out in February, 1999 to fill the seats of those who are completing their terms.
  2. The two vacant Arts and Sciences seats have been filled in a recently completed election. The two new Arts and Sciences representatives are Nancy Garlick (Music Department) and Betsy Tucker (Drama Department). They will takes their seats on the GFC at the January, 1999 meeting.
  3. Discussion of the proposed revision of the General Faculty Council bylaws. Considerable attention was devoted to a proposed addition to the bylaws, Section V, D., that would address the issue of expectation of regular representative attendance at GFC meetings. The proposed new policy now states: "D. Elected Council Members shall serve with the expectation of consistent attendance at scheduled Council meetings. If the Council Member is unable to attend a regularly scheduled Council meeting, he/she should designate a person from their represented area to attend the meeting in their place, as well as notify the Council Chair of the absence. If a Council member misses three consecutive Council meetings without explanation, and fails to send a designee to represent them or assign a vote proxy to another Council member, the seat will be considered vacant." Following extensive discussion the council approved a motion to have the proposed revisions to the bylaws posted on the GFC web site. An e-mail will be sent to the entire general faculty asking them to review the proposed new bylaws on the GFC web site. After discussion of feedback and subsequent final revisions, a vote of the entire general faculty will be held early in 1999 on the proposed new bylaws.
  4. Brad Holland reported on the new University Coordinating Council (UCC). At a November meeting a charter was approved for the UCC. Gweneth West (Drama Department) was elected chairman. Brad has agreed to serve as the GFC representative to the UCC. The goal of the UCC is to facilitate communication inside the university. The UCC, which will meet at least five times a year, will serve as a forum for addressing issues raised in various constituent organizations. It is envisioned that UCC members, once alerted to an issue, can poll their constituents and thereby get broader involvement and discussion on issues of importance to the entire university community. The UCC will work closely with Leonard Sandridge. The first UCC meeting will be in January, 1999 and will be publicized in the Cavalier Daily. Elizabeth Fortune suggested that the University Safety Committee be invited to join the UCC.
  5. At the November GFC meeting a representative from the Labor Action Group (LAG) made a presentation about the campaign for a living wage for UVa employees. A statement by the LAG representative about a "resolution of support" for the campaign issued by the WFPA was corrected, the WFPA has not yet passed a resolution supporting the campaign. Donal Day suggested that the GFC issue a statement of support for the concept of a "living wage." Donal will draft an endorsement of the concept of a "living wage" for consideration at the next GFC meeting.
  6. Trish Foley, through Joyce Pastors, announced that Jan LaCoss of the WFPA General Faculty Committee will be talking to the GFC to see about coordinating an open forum with senior UVa administrators. It was agreed that a forum would be a good idea but that timing and focus need to be considered. Late-February or early-March would seem to be good times to hold a forum. A focus of the forum could be the suggested revisions to the POLICY ON THE GENERAL FACULTY. Jane Penner will contact Kathy Reed to see what her thoughts are on this topic and the timing. Jane will report back at the January GFC meeting.
  7. Elizabeth Fortune recently sent out definitions of regular research staff and senior research staff. In our proposed revisions to the GFC Bylaws senior research staff would be represented by the GFC, regular research staff would not.
  8. Jane Penner reported that the Library Faculty Council will be reconfiguring itself to represent the entire faculty of 10 libraries, the Darden, Law, and HSC libraries are not part of this council.
  9. Elizabeth Fortune recently sent each GFC member an updated list of all general faculty. Council members are encouraged to keep their e-mail list of constituents up-to-date and use it to communicate regularly with their constituents.
  10. It was proposed that in January the GFC place on it’s agenda the issue of salary equity. Teaching and research faculty received 6.5% raises on average last year while administrative faculty received 3.1% (for the most part, some high-ranking administrative faculty received much higher raises).
  11. Future Meeting Dates:
    Tuesday, January 12: 12:30-2:00 pm, in 389 Newcomb Hall
    Tuesday, February 9: 12:30-2:00 pm, in 379 Newcomb Hall (Board Room)
    Tuesday, March 9: 12:30-2:00 pm, in 389 Newcomb Hall
    Tuesday, April 13: 12:30-2:00 pm, in 389 Newcomb Hall
    Tuesday, May 11: 12:30-2:00 pm, in 389 Newcomb Hall

Submitted December 31, 1998

Tom Dowd, Secretary
General Faculty Council